Intercooler question

Hi all. Really stupid question coming up :P

If having a larger intercooler is deemed to be a good way of improving performance, could you not connect two standard intercoolers together (one after the other, using pipework and a little bit of messing about) to achieve a similar performance gain?

Stupid question over. :D

Would be better to put a T-piece in and split the air-feed between the 2 intercoolers then re-combine the outlets with another T-piece before feeding to the engine.

2 coolers in series gives double the pressure-drop of one cooler.

2 coolers in parallel gives half the pressure-drop of one cooler.

--Tanuki.

"WARNING: Letters may be used to construct words or phrases which some

people may find objectionable" -- Alphabet spaghetti disclaimer.

Technically yes, however the biggest bonus of the bigger intercooler is that it'll be more efficient at its job, and therefore probably better than two in series..... but then, if you are able to find somewhere to fot the second one, which will cost very little then it could be worth a go...!

As far as I figure...

Having two fridge's doesn't make your food twice as cold.....but you can fit in twice the food, so I concur with Tanuki. Split the air before going into both 'coolers in parallel should do the biz.

I'd be interested in the results, keep it coming.

A chap in LRO did this a while ago on a 300tdi. The magazine raved about it but did no tests to see if it actually had an effect. The article was the one about the chap that had a horticulture business and regulary towed large trailers on the back of a 130 (?) flatbed between here and Spain. (Is the owner of that vehicle 'macdon' on LRO forum??)

As the others have indicated, fittng the second IC anywhere where it has a cooling airflow over it is difficult. I asked a similar question on here a while back as i had wondered about fitting a second IC under a scoop on the wing like a scooped heater air intake, or like those found in the bonnet of the Jap 4x4s. The general response was that it would be a waste of time. Airflow over the IC would be low and the pressure losses over the two intercoolers and associated pipework would probably negate any gains.

Ex's Dad put/had a Volvo intercooler put into his Disco 300tdi, was done by Auto tune up here, they did a cracking job like but all sorts of bits needed moving and changeing and fabricating to get it to fit in... I drove it a few time and it certainly seemed perky, and thats was without any fuel pump tweeking and just the EGR removed.

It all depends which aspect of performance you are trying to improve. - pickup from low speed is also dependant on hving a good low intake depression ( compressor intake ducting and air filter) - intercooler won't do much here as your compressor isn't doing much at lower rpm or from pullaway to approx 1500rpm ish..- snorkels probably make this worse I would guess given the long duct length and tortuous route the air has to take.Regards fitting two I/C's I would suggest two in parrallel The principle benefit will be at engine higher rpm and load (torque) Should achieve slightly cooler air with lower boost side pressure loss - better boost rise rate and slight more boost.Two in series will give a worse pressure drop and reduce any cooling benefit you get with this layout.The results you get will depend on how good the installation of the ducting - good consistant ducting diameter and few beds as possible. Y piece to join flows etc and must in the air flow not hidden behind metal work...One large one will be easier to get a result with for that reason principally...Hoepfully that helps?