Theoretical Collapsed Wheel Bearing

if a wheel/hub bearing goes can it take out the stub axle. What does it usually knacker up? Hopefully not the hub iteself :o

I've got a stub axle in my spares kit but they don't come complete. Do i need all the other trimmings, thrust washers, seal and bearing?

Is this it all?

FTC861

FTC56

FTC840

FTC5268

Worst thing that can happen if a wheel-bearing goes is that the inner track spins on the stub-axle and welds itself on.

Dismantling can then be destructive.

--Tanuki.

One of my lifelong passions has been converting vegetarians back to meat, usually by the judicious application of the aroma of slowly frying bacon.

One of the most cunning methods I've seen is to build up a complete hub (stub, bearings, seals, disc, hub) as a unit and use it as the spare wheel mount on the swing away carrier. Adds a bit of weight but makes any hub/bearing/disc/seal issue a fixed-length job to get you back on the road. Also keeps the bearings & seals out of harm's way compared to rattling round in the back with the spanners.

That sounds like a step to far even for me. I have spare bearings, seals, lock washers and nuts and stuff for the actual hub. Do you think a complete stub is a good thing to take. Its not very big and i already have it albeit it has parts missing.

That sounds like a step to far even for me. I have spare bearings, seals, lock washers and nuts and stuff for the actual hub. Do you think a complete stub is a good thing to take. Its not very big and i already have it albeit it has parts missing.

I take it you're off on some overlanding type stuff??

Not done one myself, however I probably would take a spare stub depending on where I'm going - there's not much that will stop you but being on 3 wheels might! It's rare that they are that bad you couldnt limp somewhere on a worn one, but by the time you find the seal seat is erroded by sand etc etc... depends on availability where your going and hazard if it goes. Sahara - Yes, Europe / Iceland - proably wouldnt bother; it's true to say the more you carry, the more likely something WILL break due to the overloading!

The best defence is a well maintained vehicle in the first place - you should then notice the nasty stuff before it happens.

yes, very soon. Off for a long while. The vehicle is very well mainained. Its pratically new build. Its not overloaded and will not be. Full gear is 2.68 Tonne although i now have 40litres more tank capacity and probably another 20 water so ~80kg more than that. Plus i've put on a bit of weight....:P

So i hope i don't loose a stub axle but it looks like one in the kit is the right move. Anyone comment on the parts to make a complete one up?

yes, very soon. Off for a long while. The vehicle is very well mainained. Its pratically new build. Its not overloaded and will not be. Full gear is 2.68 Tonne although i now have 40litres more tank capacity and probably another 20 water so ~80kg more than that. Plus i've put on a bit of weight....:P

So i hope i don't loose a stub axle but it looks like one in the kit is the right move. Anyone comment on the parts to make a complete one up?

Had a front bearing sieze and weld the inner race to the stub shaft.

The worst of it was the sudden stopping of the front n/s wheel when it siezed, pulled the 110 so suddenly to the left that it pulled the steering wheel out of my grip. Fortunately I wasn't going too fast at the time.

Got a hub nut spanner ?

I have the standard box spanner and a proper socket to torque the nuts up correctly. I nearly have enough stuff to manufacture a new hub nut spanner should the other two fail :lol:

I'm actully taking another vehicle just in case we need one,,,, but seriously if you can think of it, i already have one. Possibly two and sometimes five. ;) I forget how many wheel bearings i have but its not two. I have 5 brake caliper bolts ???:blink:

the only thing i don't have that i might need is a bottom radiator pipe (why did i bin the old one) But mines a new genuine one and its been on about 8k miles. So unless it gets ripped out by a monkey i shouldn't need one. ( naysayers ?,,,,anyone ??? surely someone can find something i don;t have that i should have with me )

The main way to ensure a good adventure is to make regular checks (daily before you start) for faults , jacking each wheel off the ground to check for freeplay/bearing noise once a week will give you plenty of warning of impending doom :P

If you end up stuck in the gloop or in a river then a bit of an overhaul afterwards wouldn't hurt :)

..but I'm sure you've already got all that sorted out . At a push chemical metal or even araldite can be used to re-face oil seal track.

I once used a high lift jack as a slide hammer to pull a siezed hub off a Disco for someone in Poland. Luckily the back inner race came off with a 4 1/2" grinder at the local metalworkers

cheers

Steveb

if a wheel/hub bearing goes can it take out the stub axle. What does it usually knacker up? Hopefully not the hub iteself :o

This exact thing happened to me and to a similar extent on a different occasion here: link

If a bearing melts it'll take out everything near it; stub axle, hub, cv joint. Daily bearing checks will go a long way to help keep on top of it. Proper greasing and attention would have stopped happening what happpened to me.

In light of the above experiences I think I shall ammend my idea and take a spare stub and bearings anytime I leave the UK!!

I think I'd be tempted to take a spare bottom hose - let's face it, weighs c*ck all but you could be extremely glad! I wouldn't fancy trying to bodge, esp if it were a 300.

Have you had sight of 'The Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide' by Tom Sheppard? I expect you're pretty much sorted, however I suspect there's still much of use in it even at this lateish stage.

Jim

@Fridge.

Thats pretty ingenious and no space wasted in fact space used in a more efficient way.

@Jim

yeah got the book for Xmas and i might indeed get a bottom hose. I wish i'd not lobbed the old one but i had to have a clear out last year so it went in the bin.

I'm going to strip and re do all the hubs before we set off. Fill em with JCB blue and they should last a good deal longer. They got done before the shakedown so are about 8K from last time so i'd say its a good a time as any.