Forum greenlane trip?

GBMUD

I thought I would 'not organize'* another forum greenlane trip.

We have done mid-Wales, the Peaks, the Lakes, and north Wales but there is an area of mid/north Wales which I visited once a few years ago but barely scratched the surface of really so I fancy taking another look at that. Look at the area north of the A44, west of the A470 and into Snowdonia NP for inspiration. Planning to stay somewhere in the Machynlleth/Dolgellau area.

I plan to go the weekend of October 29/30 and stay in a cheapish hotel - yet to be decided. I am sure that there will be a nearby campsite for the financially challenged/students etc.. Beyond that I have not really planned.

Anyone else fancy going to the same place the same weekend with the same intentions?

NB. This is a green lane weekend and NOT a mud plugging event. There are many good pay/play sites around the country for mud sports.

Chris

* - 'not organize', for those who have not been before means that I am not arranging it for you. I am not arranging or recommending accommodation, though I plan to stay somewhere large enough for all (most?) of us. I am not recommending or suggesting any green lanes - though of course I am happy to share any knowledge I have of the lanes, routes etc..

What all this means, is that with the best will in the world, if you have a nasty accident and go home dead, I am not taking responsibility as it will be your trip, your booking, your car, your route and your mistake; not mine! I am just sharing my holiday plans with you all.

NB. This is a green lane weekend and NOT a mud plugging event. There are many good pay/play sites around the country for mud sports.

Dammit, I was planning a trip that coincides with yours too Chris. Then I had a gloomy realisation that I'm already committed to being somewhere else that weekend :(

However if that all falls of its perch I may still not end up in the Machynlleth area around the same time you're not there.

I've stayed at a lovely little farm campsite just outside Mach before. They were pretty 4x4 friendly too. http://www.gwerniago.co.uk/index.html for anyone in need.

Having made a brief survey (Google!) of hotels in the area, the best value for money seems to be The white Lion Hotel in Machynlleth. I have stayed there before, several years ago, and remember it being nice enough; certainly for the price! Full details on the website, I spoke to the manager Wendy: If you call to book, let her or her staff know you are with the Landrover group.

I have booked a room, as have TJ101 and JST - so there is at least three of us going (2 cars).

Cheers

Chris

See also Innovate4x4

Having made a brief survey (Google!) of hotels in the area, the best value for money seems to be The white Lion Hotel in Machynlleth. I have stayed there before, several years ago, and remember it being nice enough; certainly for the price! Full details on the website, I spoke to the manager Wendy: If you call to book, let her or her staff know you are with the Landrover group.

I have booked a room, as have TJ101 and JST - so there is at least three of us going (2 cars).

Cheers

Chris

See also Innovate4x4

In 2004 we camped along with a few others (including Verydisco Fiona - anyone remember her?) at a campsite on the A487 at a little village called Furnace a few miles from Machynlleth.

The great thing about the camp site is that they let you have camp fires.

I can't recall the name of the camp site but it on the right coming from Machynlleth.

That was the panhard rod for me Paul.

Any may years on it's still installed on the truck :) many thanks once again...

Also had Sam with me that year... He was so bored until we named him gate monkey. Then he was swinging on gates hanging off my spare wheel etc...

No idea who will be in the passenger seat but I plan to be there...

Neil

Thinking back.. I may have re-bushed both and then put the priginal back on.... Still have the panhard rod here though.. It will probably come with me to Wales this year along with two spare props... Never can tell when something will go wrong again... 2 years ago cost me a front axle, diff and rebuild of the diff in my transfer box... :huh:

Wonder if I can afford this years repair bill !!! Keeps getting bigger each visit !

Looking forward to meeting up with peeps again...

Neil

I think this is a discussion to have with a beer in hand as it could be more entertaining and take a little time.....Also depends what truck Chris is in on the day :)

I'm sure there are virtues for each vehicle, but I do agree there may be excess baggage in a 110, in my case the driver being one of the items :)

I'm just hopeful of getting there and back without major failure this year.....

Nei