Forum South West Challenge 3 (FSWC3)

JST

James

We should have read and understood the rules and regulations of Challenge South West before sending the form in.

Can you give me a link?

There may be vehicle rules in there and I want to make sure I comply before turning up.

Thanks

Richard

Rules and Regs

Home About us Latest news Events Gallery Membership

Forum Classified ads Rules & Regs

Contact Links

EVENT LAYOUT AND SUMMARY OF RULES

The object of the event is to locate various punches, the location of which will be indicated on the day. Each punch will identified by a number to verify it is the desired objective. The punch will be attached to a fixed point on the objective by a cable. The control card (attached by the scrutineer to a consistent point on all vehicles) must be marked with the pin punch in the correct box on the control card as proof that the objective has been visited. The vehicle must negotiate close enough to the point to collect the punch mark without detaching either the pin punch or control card.

There may also be special tasks which are worth extra points. These are generally along the lines of non-driving puzzles or may include driving a short course through numbered gates in reverse gear or against the clock.

The event will be for individual vehicles, each of which may carry one driver and one co-driver providing they are accommodated in securely fixed seats and wearing approved seatbelts or harnesses. All drivers must have current UK driving licences.

Competitors may enter their vehicles with or without a partner vehicle and may be paired at the event by the organisers.

Vehicles must have a working horn, seatbelts for all seats in use, towing points front and rear and carry a tow rope. Horns will be used to notify an emergency. On hearing horns competitors should attempt to assist/locate the problem or notify marshals.

A roll bar must be fitted to all soft top vehicles. Even if the event takes place wholly on private land, Vehicle Tax, MOT and insurance are required. In the event of public roads being used to link sites then it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that all road regulations are complied with.

Vehicles must carry an emergency first aid kit and fire extinguisher. All items must be securely stowed within a vehicle. Competitors are not allowed to smoke while competing.

A blanket speed limit of 15mph covers all sites and any vehicle exceeding this may be disqualified.

The use of winch sails and gloves is compulsory when winching. There must be no damage or removal of any object within the competition area (i.e. trees, fences, gates, walls etc.) and tree strops must be used where necessary. ‘Clear for winching’ must be called out clearly prior to each and every winching operation. Competitors must ensure that winch cables are never crossed.

In the event of a breakdown, repairs must be carried out on a suitable ground sheet. Never spill fuel or oil or drop litter. In the event of any spillage a marshal must be informed.

All competitors will obey the organisers/marshals instructions. Their decision is final.

If you feel at any time that the severity of a section is beyond your capability you must stop. You will not be forced into a situation you consider to be potentially dangerous.

Detailed Rules and Regulations

RECOVERY EQUIPMENT

All vehicles must have the following minimum recovery equipment (compatible with all winches fitted):

1 long recovery strap / rope.

2 tree protector strops.

1 snatch block.

2 shackles (safe working load of 3.25 tons).

Ground anchor/plough.

2 pairs of appropriate gloves (not woollen).

Winch blanket (minimum weight 1kg). It must not be permanently attached to the cable or hook.

Suitable recovery points (identified in red) to the front and rear of the vehicles.

All winches must comply with the following regulations:

Winch must be securely fitted to the vehicle.

Minimum size of winch is 6000 lbs rated.

If electrical winch, it must be fitted with a battery isolator switch.

Cable / rope must be in good condition.

Loop at end of cable must be swaged.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT

A fire extinguisher (min 2kg) system must be carried on all competing vehicles.

All vehicles must carry a first aid kit.

SUMMARY

Regulations as detailed above are the MINIMUM required.

All vehicles must comply with the rules as stated above.

WARNINGS AND PENALTIES

In the event of an infringement of the above rules, there will be one verbal warning given before a penalty is charged. Remember that the rules are there for the protection of yourself and others.

All vehicles must be presented with a current MOT certificate, be road taxed and be in a roadworthy condition including tyre legality.

All drivers must hold a current Driving Licence with the exception of junior gymkana events.

SCRUTINEERING

Driver and co-driver must present their vehicle (in a clean condition) to the scrutineer for inspection.

This will include production of a current MOT certification for the competing vehicle.

BODY/CHASSIS

The vehicle must be fitted with bodywork including a driver (and passenger) compartment isolated from the engine, wet batteries, gearbox, hydraulic reservoirs, transmission, shafts, brakes, road wheels, their operating linkages and attachments, oil tanks, radiator, water header tanks and catch tanks.

There must be a protective bulkhead of non-inflammable material between the engine and the driver/passenger compartment capable of preventing the passage of fluid or flame. Gaps must be sealed with GRP or with putty that completely closes the gaps at all times. Magnesium is prohibited for bulkheads.

The vehicle must have a complete floor of adequate strength and rigidity supported within the driver/passenger compartment.

The vehicle must be equipped on all wheels with mudguards, which present no sharp edges and cover the complete wheel (flange + rim + tyre) adequately.

The bodywork must provide a minimum uninterrupted transverse cockpit opening of 81 cm.

The vehicle must be fitted with doors or bodywork giving side protection to the driver and passenger.

If the vehicle is fitted with driver/passenger doors, hatchback doors, sliding doors, opening boots or tailgates, these must be secured in the closed position during competition.

Tailgates may be removed.

The load carrying area must be separated from the passenger compartment by an adequate barrier.

There must be an effective means of ventilation for closed cars.

All recovery equipment must be stored securely in or on the vehicle.

BRAKES

The vehicle must be fitted with brakes that are operative and capable of stopping and holding the vehicle as required.

An independent parking brake system must be fitted.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS

Any wet batteries in the driver/passenger compartment must be enclosed in a securely located leak-proof container.

Batteries must be securely fastened and terminals protected from short circuiting.

The vehicle must be equipped with an effective horn or other audible warning device emitting a continuous tone.

A circuit breaker that cuts the engine is recommended.

COOLING

All fluid carrying lines or tubes carrying coolants through the driver/passenger compartment if non-metallic are to be internally or externally metal braided hydraulic hose.

EXHAUST SYSTEMS

The exhaust system must be isolated from the driver/passenger compartment.

FUEL SYSTEMS

All fuel lines passing through the driver/passenger compartment shall be protected and, if non-metallic, be formed of internally or externally metal braided hydraulic pressure hose.

Tank fillers and caps must not protrude beyond the bodywork. These must have an efficient locking action to reduce the risk of accidental opening during an accident and ensure closing after refuelling.

OIL COOLING SYSTEMS

Any oil lines passing through the driver/passenger compartment must be protected and, if non-metallic, be formed of internally or externally braided hydraulic pressure hose.

STEERING

All steering joints and couplings must be in serviceable condition.

TRANSMISSION

The use of locking axle differentials, limited-slip or torque-biasing axle differentials is permitted in modified class only.

WINDSCREENS AND SIDE SCREENS

Windscreens must be of laminated glass or plastic of a minimum thickness of 4mm. Plastic side screens, where fitted, should also have a minimum thickness of 4mm unless fitted otherwise by the original vehicle manufacturer.

SEATING

The maximum time for the driver/passenger to get out of the vehicle should not exceed 5 seconds.

Safety belts must be worn at all times during competition whilst the vehicle is in motion. The minimum requirement is a three-point belt comprising one diagonal shoulder strap and one lap strap, with three anchor points on the chassis/body shell or rollover bar of the vehicle on either side and to the rear of the seat. The seat integral safety belt of Range Rover is acceptable.

WHEELS AND TYRES

The vehicle shall have not less than four road wheels and tyres (excluding the spare) which are fitted with tyres that are compatible with the wheels and acceptable to the organiser.

The use of tyre chains is prohibited.

The use of open tread tyres such as Maxi Cross, Black Star, Canonica, Babcross or dumper tyres is prohibited.

Maximum tyre size must not exceed 36” diameter.

A spare wheel is not a mandatory requirement but, if carried, must be securely fastened.

ROLL OVER PROTECTION

No vehicle will be allowed to compete without some form of rollover protection. A manufacturer’s correctly fitted hardtop or Truck-cab shall be deemed sufficient. Soft or open topped vehicles require a minimum of a roll hoop. THE STRENGTH AND SECURITY OF THE MOUNTINGS OF ROLLOVER PROTECTION ARE OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE.

Roll over bar materials should comprise cold drawn seamless carbon steel, minimum yield strength 350N/sq.mm. An alternative material is BS1387 medium weight blue band, minimum dimensions being 44.30mm x 3.2mm.

It is mandatory that drivers or passengers of soft or open topped vehicles wear crash helmets complying to BS6658 standards.

The Organisers of this Event strongly recommend that all vehicles be fitted with roll over protection.

Issue 4 (November 2003)

Maximum tyre size must not exceed 36” diameter.

I guess this is a question for James as COC, how is tyre size measured? Is it by manufacturers size indication? From the ground to the top of the tyre? Does it include tyre tread or is it a measurement of the tyre carcass?

Chris

Put me down for a place if you still have space.

I've sent an email so you can return the form.

Only thing I need now is a volunteer for the passenger seat.....................anyone? (assuming there is a place available)

Richard

Richard, I'm now fairly sure I'll be free then and I'm willing to fill the passenger seat if you haven't found anyone yet :D

Rich

Jase - cheers for putting the regs up.

Tyre size is not an issue on this site (this came up lat time as well) so even Pete will be OK!

No need to bring MOT etc although you do sign to say your vehicle is roadworthy/MOT'd, insured and taxed - there will be road sections between sites.

Codrivers can sign on the day.

Chq to be cashed on or after 15 Sep

first come first served for spaces.

i will dig out some B&B info and post up hopefully later tonight.

I will update my 2nd post on here with names as and when i receive your entry form and chq. if your names not on that list i haven't got it.

Any other queries let me know.

Richard, I'm now fairly sure I'll be free then and I'm willing to fill the passenger seat if you haven't found anyone yet :D

Rich

Richard

I found a willing (if unexperianced) assistant, but if anything changes I'll let you know straight away.

At least this is not a team event so we can't sabotage anyone elses chances :)

Cheers

Richard

James,

I'm not going to be able to make this one I'm afraid - no girlfriend dramas this time - too much to do to the landy I'm afraid. Bulkhead needs repair sections which the cage is off and it won't get done for at least a fortnight. ARB and 8274 both need sorting and spare simex needs a hole gatoring. So much to do, so little time.

Hopefully I'll be in a position to come along and laugh / drink tea but reastically won't be able to compete.

Si

Richard

I found a willing (if unexperianced) assistant, but if anything changes I'll let you know straight away.

At least this is not a team event so we can't sabotage anyone elses chances :)

Cheers

Richard

No worries, James do you know if anyone else is looking for a biatch? If not I'll come along and take some photos anyway.

Rich

no disrespect to anyone computers skills but a couple have replied tome by email stating they only got the directions and not the entry form or scrutineering/timing sheet.

the folder attached to the original email is a zipped folder called directions.zip.

Expand this and youwill have all three files

directions.

scrutineering sheet and timings

entry form

I know they are all there as

a. i sent it

b. some of you have sent the entry forms back!

Those still struggling to unzip the folder i can send them indvidually if required let me know.