Where to put my airbox and my webasto heater...

Alright folks,

Got a small problem of engine bay space.

I've got a webasto Termotop C to go into the truck and the ideal and correct spot for it is the washer bottle location, on the passanger side inner wing... well thats where my air box sits just now... (washer bottle now in passanger side wing)

2 options... relocate airbox :( and fit webasto in its place... in which case i need a new location for air box and was thinking of a 300tdi setup having it mounted to the engine... hence does a 300tdi bracket fit a 200?

OR I locate the webasto unit somewhere else... had thought about the AC unit mounts on the engine, but don't like the idea of the webasto burner haveing to put up with the engine vibration... other place would be under the blank vent in the drivers side wing... not ideal as it would need a lot of water pipe pluming and its not an easy location for servicing... has anyone got any inspiring idea's?

Cheers

Mav

post-20087-0-97707400-1315217911_thumb.jpg

Can you put the air box vertically on the LH chassis rail, like the early 90/110s? It sits on three legs bolts to the chassis.

If your air box is huge there is a shorter one available, maybe worth swapping it out for something else?

Can you put the air box vertically on the LH chassis rail, like the early 90/110s? It sits on three legs bolts to the chassis.

If your air box is huge there is a shorter one available, maybe worth swapping it out for something else?

Yeah, I have been toying with this idea too, a rather snug location. without having a number of different boxes to try, its hard to visualy work out what will fit without to much of a ball ache with the pluming.

Yeah... :wacko: I find my engine bay kust a tad embarrasing... I've got a modeo fan ready to be wired in, plus a heap of other engine bay tidying jobs, (get new garage space on the 23rd) I think its an orignal 200tdi filter box, and its bigger than it looks.

Presently she breathes out of the engine bay, that orange bit of carp hose just stops a direct water inlet.

When I find an optimal place, I'd like to plum it in with silcone hoses etc.

I've seen one of those plastic 300tdi filter bodie types on fleebay and have been debating on mounting something on the engine, I just don't like the idea of meters of air hose running around the engine bay.

Hmmm... i think I'm coming round to the idea of the shorter filter body, thanks for the photo's, i think i might be able to get a hold of one from our local garage, he's got some shelves of old bits n bobs, will go scroungeing tomorrow.

There are heaps of 200tdi conversions, what does everyone else do?

I must have a 2 ¼ L petrol air box from a 90 laying about somewhere but I can not remember what it looks like but if that is any good, I am away till next Wednesday but will have a look for it when I get home if it going to be any good to you.

Frax ;)

I think anything less than a tdi size filter might strangle it a little especially if its been open up. I put my filterbox on the air con brackets was pretty straight forward to do just two bits of flat bar and 4 holes.

ooh002.jpg

Will.

I think anything less than a tdi size filter might strangle it a little especially if its been open up. I put my filterbox on the air con brackets was pretty straight forward to do just two bits of flat bar and 4 holes.

ooh002.jpg

Will.

Great picture Will, cheers, I have a plastic 90 deg elbo thing just like that and some other bits of hose so i recon I could do something similar, just need to get the electric fan fitted up.

Have you any pictures of the bracket you made up at all?

Cheers Mav

I'm afraid it was about 5 years ago now, and i cant be bothered digging the 90 out to have a look, IIRC it was something like this wilth the red holes for the rubber filter bobbins and the blue going into the aircon mounts, obv there are two of these and they will have been made out of 25x6 or similer.

filterbraket.jpg

Will.

Guest wunntenn

I put an Eberspacher unit in my 110 200 Tdi, using a 1/4 inch thick by 5 inch wide steel plate a couple of feet long bolted onto the chassis leg below the engine, extending up into the engine bay onto which the Eberspacher is bolted (passenger side of engine). It needed a slight crank putting in it on a bender to get it sitting right, but that also helped stiffen it too. Meant I could have it wherever I wanted, and it was relatively isolated from engine vibration and saved a load of messing about relocating all sorts of other bits.

Could you do this to the right of the coolant expansion tank? Would give you plenty space around it and easy access to its various connected gubbins.

I put an Eberspacher unit in my 110 200 Tdi, using a 1/4 inch thick by 5 inch wide steel plate a couple of feet long bolted onto the chassis leg below the engine, extending up into the engine bay onto which the Eberspacher is bolted (passenger side of engine). It needed a slight crank putting in it on a bender to get it sitting right, but that also helped stiffen it too. Meant I could have it wherever I wanted, and it was relatively isolated from engine vibration and saved a load of messing about relocating all sorts of other bits.

Could you do this to the right of the coolant expansion tank? Would give you plenty space around it and easy access to its various connected gubbins.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about making a larger bracket type assembly coming off the chassis, I like the idea, I'll have a look see, I could take something off the same bracket mounts as the bulkhead footwell support brackets...

Have you got any Photo's at all?

looks like the black PAS tank has taken on the crankcase breather job, instead of the factory cyclonic unit, don't know what the valve is lying on the rocker cover.

The cyclonic is still in place the feed out goes to a ZF PAS catch tank that breathes to a filter and drains to the sump - works A1.

For the rest of the 'bay including the Eberspacher location (washer bottle now next to battery) looksy..........

So finally....

Inspired perhaps by the Youtube footage guy who offered up his conversion and after reading all you folks thoughts and experiences I have completed the conversion.

Most parts were new (tank excepted) and the best quality I could find. Indeed I found out some fittings were not good or under sized and they form a tray of rejects still here.

Where to start?

The Tank is alloy and on the small side at 25 litres but does fit neatly and well within the chassis line. I bonded a cradle and a further bottom to it and secured with stainless bolts.

It has two outlets one to the water heater and one to the IP valve.

IMG_3611.jpg

The valves I have shown before, here they are in situ taking up the only and oddly most suitable space in a Defender engine bay:

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

Three of the fellas - Pevekoil with 10mm ID fittings sit on a bespoke bracket with the secodary tank filter. The proximity of these valves to the IP means only 300mm of shared pipe work before they enter the IP.

004-1.jpg

Also fitted are two FPHE's one at the filter and one just prior to the IP valve. They both get hot and are fed off the engine water jacket or the Eberspacher diesel water heater.

The water heater can get them both hot in 5 minutes flat which is pretty impressive I reckon. As I have conflicting advice on heating regular diesel up to high temps - 90C perhaps I have fitted gas ball valves to create a shunt circuit that can isolate both if required.

IMG_3606.jpg

The original cam driven lift pump - only a few months old was removed and the space left blanked off, the new pumps were fitted in the driverside locker on a plinth mounted on rubber feet.

IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

Both are Facet - the bio one being the blue top version which is the most powerful Facet make. Central to this is a 50l a minute 240v pump which is permanently plumbed to both tanks via 19mm ID pipe work. Regulation of which is via ball valves.

Also in the locker is a small glass bowled filter, gas ball valves for the fuel (security as much as anything) and a manual filler point for the secondary tank.

In the rear wheel arch is a sedimenter this is as close a possible to the tank and is the only original piece of fuel pipe left everything from there onwards is 10mm ID pipe with the same sized fittings.

IMG_3609.jpg

Here is a pic of the underside plumbing:

IMG_3610.jpg

Here is the 1000w inverter:

206.jpg

207.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

Controlling the lot is my bespoke switch box (Maplins) into which is a fuse box, 5 relays, a temp sensor (reading the exit temp of the last FPHE) and switches. It was a squeeze getting it all in there trust me.

IMG_3612.jpg

Job done - I doubt it will save what it cost but it has kept me busy for a few evenings and the odd weekend.

Thanks for the forum and the good advice here.

Meaty ... I have seen armour plate thinner.

There was me thinking alloy where ever possible. Poor old Defenders have enough to do to shift themselves.

In any event that is only the water pump and not the complete unit?

I would have put it as far away from the hot bits as possible.