Doors dont shut properly

SeriesEwan

My doors dont shut correctly, When the vehicle is static it is possible to achieve a full tight shut by ramming the door with my hip/arse but as soon as I move off the door the door catch pings out & sits on the 2nd part of the striker ( arrowed )

6123245347_52f898fa43.jpg

Also i am noticing a sag in the doors as if they are lower than the tub,

Winter is a coming & i wouldn't mind getting a water tight seal :) whats the best way of adjusting the fit? I have tried playing with the shimming / position of the striker to no avail is there any adjustment to be had in the hinges?

6123244735_5b6e0b8843_b.jpg

6123785736_74c849ca78_b.jpg

6123786000_828f7dec13_b.jpg

Assuming the tub-bulkhead alignment is OK you can loosen the hinges and move the door. But in all honesty I would junk those door latches and fit defender style anti-burst locks & strikers. As well as being safer they pull the door in against the seal.

At the same time fit new doorseals, either buy the proper stuff or use some from an Austin/Rover Metro.

The best way to achieve a watertight seal on Landrover doors is to pray.

you can adjust or rebuild the hinges, there is a nice thread on here. well worth doing. search greasable slop free hinges i think..

also if you cant get the door to fit right after jiggling the hinges (like mine) you can grind out the bottom of the second stage hole and this will make the door shut, i advise to grease them too, shut much better but i am after some anti burst locks too

Striker is hitting the bottom of the second latch 'box' - so adjust to lift the back of the door and it should shut properly. You can get new ball and shaft for S2/2a doors but for S3 you'll have to buy new hinges if they're worn (or make a new pin - its an odd size with splines to hold it in place)

you wont need a jack trust me, its not that hard - you're more likely to bend the doors with a jacks. you 'just' need to start with loosing the hinge bolts in the bulkhead and lifting with the one hand while tightening with the other. I've recently had a right game with the 109's doors, which ulitmately turned out to be britpart doors with the tubes welded in the wrong place!

• 2 weeks later...

you wont need a jack trust me, its not that hard - you're more likely to bend the doors with a jacks. you 'just' need to start with loosing the hinge bolts in the bulkhead and lifting with the one hand while tightening with the other. I've recently had a right game with the 109's doors, which ulitmately turned out to be britpart doors with the tubes welded in the wrong place!

this is why my drivers door never fitted properly the top of the door top was level, the bottom of the door bottom was wonkey as anything.

I would suggest a long term battle plan.

Start soaking the door bolts with penetrating oil (plusgas gets a lot of praise) a week beforehand. get some in between the hinge and the pillar.

Keep applying the oil each day.

Then apply shocking force to the fixing, either a hammer to the bolt head or a hammer to a screwdriver in the screw head.

Then re-apply.

You should then be able to undo it.

G.

Having had my doors on and off quite a lot recently i thought I'd share...

The captive thread is on a little plate the clamps around part of the inside of the bulkhead. They are a bit fiddly but I found the best way to get them on was to use an old screwdriver throught the hole to push and get the clamp started. Once its got a grip then you can take the screwdriver out and push them on.

I find the best way to hang the doors is to fit the hinge to the door tightly and then put in the bulkhead bolts. Once you've got the door secured to the bulkhead you can adjust it for the gap. I find if you've got the bolts done up quite tight you can move the door about but its tight enought to stop it moving once you're happy. The best tool i've found for doing up the bolts is an impact driver used as a screwdriver.

Adjust the striker plate last so that the door latches properly etc

Also worth checking that your door tops are on straight. I spent ages trying to work out why I couldnt get my passenger door to fit corectly only to realise that the door top was leaning out. One day I'll buy a new one...