Rear storage draw - My latest project

OK, So I paid for the metal cutting and folding today, I had offered to pay when I picked it up but an invoice had to be done and the lady in the office was away, I also took the 110 for them to see the unit as I think it is good to show people what they built for you.

Russ measured up for the shelf/sleeping platform bracket and had them made within what felt like seconds, well less time than it took for me to drink my tea! They have a half day on a Friday so wouldn't have time to do the other bits (power box and brew shelf) but I can wait for them so will pick them up next week, I don't have all the bits yet so it wasn't an issue.

A morning of herding kittens was followed by some painting, cutting wood covering with carpet and working things out.

Brackets painted

img00292201204271301.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-27

First of all I needed to figure out the sleeping platform support system, I have an idea in my head taken from the method that camp beds fold which will work the supports will be made from aluminium rectangular 10swg tube. I mocked this up with wood and noticed a funny thing, the level fo the dog guard is the same level as the dash so even if that does not work the platform can attach to the dash.

img00293201204271310.jpg

Now I had the height of the shelf from the brackets, I could cut the width of the platform, it is a little bit narrower than the truck but as the truck narrows around the B post then it's fine.

img00294201204271313.jpg

img00295201204271313.jpg

I cut the board in two sections one 60cm that will be the shelf and the second 35cm, why this second measurement? Well I would have gone to 2m but that was the length of board that I had left!! Next thing to do was to cover the wood in carpet,

img00298201204271413.jpg

I am again happy with the look of it, it will be a great place to sleep and plenty big enough for two people, the small section will secure to the shelf section with thumb screws and the whole unit will be secured to the frame in the same way. I found some M6 knock in units that will allow me to fix all of this to the board and make a strong connection.

img00299201204271448.jpg

I balanced the shelf in place it will sit about 20mm higher when on the brackets, and am waiting for the paint to dry on the brackets. I don't think I will see the ali for a couple of days yet so will not be able to do a lot more for now as just waiting on bits.

img00300201204271541.jpg

Oh one last thing, I ordered a bolt the other day to stop the fridge from banging on the door so I got round to fitting that today, good news it works well.

img00296201204271326.jpg

Cheers, Jason.

Hi Jason,

Cracking job as usual!

Can you give me a link for the bracket on the last photo, as the catch on my drawer has become loose.

An idea for supporting the bed shelf could be the same design as the awning poles. In transit they would clip to the underside and when needed hinge perpendicular to the shelf and sit on the floor. Thus providing suitable support that can be stored easily.

Did you discuss the 2nd row seat box with the engineers?

Hi Jason,

Cracking job as usual!

Can you give me a link for the bracket on the last photo, as the catch on my drawer has become loose.

An idea for supporting the bed shelf could be the same design as the awning poles. In transit they would clip to the underside and when needed hinge perpendicular to the shelf and sit on the floor. Thus providing suitable support that can be stored easily.

Did you discuss the 2nd row seat box with the engineers?

Cheers,

I am happy with it, The bracket came from this place they seem to stock a lot of little bits and are well priced.

If you look at the angled bit of wood in photo 2 my plan is that will fold up under the strut from that there will be another piece that folds out at 45 degrees and will connect to the end of the extension. I tested it in wood and as there are two triangles it is very strong and will all pack up to less than 1m x 10cm the four legs will be separate and will store in the long bit of my under seat storage unit.

I spoke to them about the unit but I need to make the drawings yet and haven't got round to that, Although Russ did ask if I worked for Blue Peter as I always seem to have made a model of what I want making!! Once I have finished the drawings etc, I will post them up and get a quote, you would be able to get 2 or 3 out of a sheet so a couple of others may be possible and sharing the material labour could help reduce the cost.

Jason.

That sounds great - I'll compare your drawings with my seats, as they are the earlier ones. I don't think that there will be much if any difference.

Thanks for the link.

Pics of my rear awning will be posted tomorrow when I get some poles; you know you'll want to make one!!!!!!!!

Pics of my rear awning will be posted tomorrow when I get some poles; you know you'll want to make one!!!!!!!!

May I remind you that you have already had one warning about your suggestions? :banned: !!

Like money burning a hole in a child's pocket the brackets not being fitted and drying in the workshop were poking at me!! So after dinner tonight I went out and fitted them :i-m_so_happy: They look really good (even if I say so myself) they look like they are part of the Mantec guard which was the plan and as a Bonus will be a good phone/key shelf when sleeping. I only had my camera phone with me so excuse the poor photos, the shelf only just fitted not width wise but actually getting it up was tight as there is not a lot of length left at the end to get it up there, but I guess I will get the hang of it!! :blush:

Just wish the Ali would come and I could finish the project!! Excuse my excitement but I have been thinking about this project for 2 years now and it has come together really quickly at the end I though the finish would be weeks off but think it is a lot closer now.

Jason.

img00303201204272106.jpg

img00302201204272105.jpg

img00301201204272103.jpg

Rear awning - I really wanted a single piece of material but the company only deals in off cuts of about the size of the red piece below. Rather than have a join in the centre above your head we decided to cut the grey and join in on the sides of the red. Both pieces of material cost £9 in total. We used the fixings from an old tent that had seen better days and bought some new poles for £10.

DSCN3456.jpg

The fixings need a tweak but that can be achieved on our next camping trip.

DSCN3458.jpg

After 5 mins of messing we got it quite tight!

Looks great, I thought you were making a self supporting awning that came out of the back of the truck, hence my question about how useful they were? I like idea of the unit with sides is there a way of making it work if you could not hammer the pegs in, for example if you were in a car park? maybe some bracing from the truck or door? Can you roll the sides up or zip them off if you just wanted the top as a sun shade? I notice you have now blanked the rear windows of your truck is this metal ?

I will stick some drawing up later of the type of rear awing I was NOW :angry: thinking of making!! I have a big roll of Cordura that is sitting awaiting projects!!

Jason.

If I utilised some more poles, ie between my existing ones and back to the landy, then yes it would be self supporting. I thought that was OTT but it could be done quite easily. The sides can be rolled so that the awning could be used as a sun shade. If I was making it again then I would reduce the sides by about 12" to make it easier to get taught.

The windows have been replaced with a set of blanks out of a commercial - a really easy job to do: just drill out the rivets and pop the blanks in with new ones. The insides have two pieces of insulation on.

I intend to fit some kind of work lamp on the rear, preferably LED. The wiring is all done just on the lookout for the right item.....

This is the one I have: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-LED-Work-Flood-Spot-lamp-light-Boat-Truck-12-24volt-/230731885987?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Commercial_Vehicles_ET&hash=item35b8b12da3#ht_2294wt_1164

I haven't got it mounted, but bolted to an aluminium scaffold clamp so I can put it anywhere on the cage :)

Rear awning - I really wanted a single piece of material but the company only deals in off cuts of about the size of the red piece below. Rather than have a join in the centre above your head we decided to cut the grey and join in on the sides of the red. Both pieces of material cost £9 in total. We used the fixings from an old tent that had seen better days and bought some new poles for £10.

DSCN3456.jpg

The fixings need a tweak but that can be achieved on our next camping trip.

DSCN3458.jpg

Which part of the patch is that?

After 5 mins of messing we got it quite tight!

Thanks, however as I'm going to be there later this year (fingers crossed I'm not screwed around). I've been over to have a look a the paches to see where to apply for (need the older properties, due to 2 dogs and the cats) so thought they looked familiar!

Tonight i started on the power, the unit will sit on top of the battery and bolt onto the studs that were left longer to house the shelf, which also protects the battery terminals.

As previously mentioned the whole idea is the unit can be removed in under 1/2 an hour so it need to be able to quickly disconnected the power unit, the easiest way to do this was by a commando socket this will also give me options should the outside car power socket fail. The board will house the MCB and a double socket the 12v Charger and and inverter, I was going to put the 12v fuse box on it also but realised that it may not be that easy to get to so think it will be better located behind the power panel, but I will see.

Jason.

img00304201204282303.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jason - sorry, another bright idea - are you incorporating a battery charger into the system in order to maximise your hookup?

That's the idea, I thought I had mentioned it earlier in this thread, The 6amp fuse on the MCB will provide 240v to a C-TEC charger to charge this battery, I am also going to provide power to my other two batteries under the seat where I have another charger so they can also receive charge when the truck is parked up in the winter etc I am looking at changing the way that I do this at the moment and will update once I have decided how it will work.

Jason

Who/ how are you getting the electrics signed off with the certificate of conformity or whatever it's called ?

I didn't need one for my Defender as I did it before the legistation came into force, by one day.

Don't need to Mike, it is not permanently installed and therefore does not fall under the NICEIC regulations that cover domestic property, funny they don't cover commercial premiss either!! By the letter of the law this installation would fall under the Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) regulations which are not required for private use (i.e. not commercial). I checked this with my neighbour who is a registered NICEIC electrician and he confirmed this to be the case. The fact that I have an MCB in the truck is my choice, I don't need one but as I am putting 240v into a metal box preferred to.

Jason.

OK so progress was slow today, to start with I slept in until 09:00 which is unheard of for me!! First of all I took some better photos of the shelf brackets, I am taking all these photos on my phone and whilst the quality is reasonable in poor light it is rubbish so this may explain them better.

img00316201204291836.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-29

Then I got started, I knew I needed to trim the board as the 12v power unit takes up some of the space but wanted to mark it and get it close.Offered it up and then cut the space out so that it would fit, I then marked where the studs would go through the board and fitted bolts and washes for the board to sit on, I then drilled the board but found that I was getting a wet back so a rear awning was needed!!

Two tie wraps a strap and a extendible handle and my rear awning was sorted!!

img00306201204291252.jpg

The idea is that the unit will plug in to a 16amp commando fed from the front wing so once fitted I tested it from the extension lead, this gave me a further idea on how to run the inverter, some more fabrication was required!!

img00314201204291812.jpg

img00310201204291338.jpg

Attention then turned to the power out although there is a socket next to the MCB it is not in the most practical place, again I envisaged this to be the case as I had an idea for the power, the grey socket was really intended as an interface which would allow me to unplug things if/when I needed to break down the unit.

I knew I wanted to put 12v sockets in the back and had made a panel I was just going to put a 1 gang socket into the board but then came up with an idea, with 3 mobiles and at least 2 laptops we tend to need power to charge things and that's not even including IPod's etc. So although the load is not great the need for plugs is!! I have a few 19" PDU's in the garage and trimming off 1/2 an inch saw it fitting, I also needed to alter the cable entry to the rear but a drill and a grommet sorted this. The holes were then drilled for the 12v outlets and the panel fitted to the frame.

img00311201204291751.jpg

In the original plan I wanted some USB outlets but on looking I realised that they were very expensive for what they were!! The answer was simple I found some little Belkin adaptors that flush into the 12v sockets and for £2,99 each they were not expensive.

img00312201204291754.jpg

img00313201204291755.jpg

The socket was checked with the hover whilst cleaning the back, it's nice to have a handy plug!!

img00315201204291834.jpg

I then removed it all again!!! I needed to cut and cover the board that the inverter will sit on it didn't take that long as I am getting fairly adept at covering wood with carpet now!!

The idea is the inverter can provide power to the MCB via a a plug in converter so unplugging it from the mains feed and into the inverter will provide 240v to the rear PDU, all I would need to do is turn off the 6amp breaker that supplies the charger so not automatic but an automatic change over costs ££££ and I am not in that much of a rush for power.

img00320201204292021.jpg

That's it for now, I need to refit it again but first think I will turn the battery round as it will be easier to get to the terminals, I also need to start fitting the 12v side if I could remember what I have done with the fuse box! run some conduit for the 12v cables to sit in and that will be the wiring done!!

The list of things to do is getting smaller now :D and the end is in site!!

Things left to do:

• 12v wiring
  • Battery connections
  • 240V from the wing
  • Make a cover for the mattress when it arrives
  • Make the frame for the bed extension when the ali arrives
  • Fit and connect the Airtronic
  • Get some more boxes for the right hand compartment.
  • Under seat storage

Looks like a lot but it shouldn't take that long now.

Jason.