Rear storage draw - My latest project

I was thinking that access would be by pivoting the seats upwards. That way all the kit would be secure whilst driving. I was also thinking that it would be an ideal space for tools, jack and spares, and possibly even more which would generate more room in the rear for the kids kit......

I was thinking that access would be by pivoting the seats upwards. That way all the kit would be secure whilst driving. I was also thinking that it would be an ideal space for tools, jack and spares, and possibly even more which would generate more room in the rear for the kids kit......

Not sure that our seats are the same, my truck is an 03 defender and the seats are a 2/1 split, you don't seem to get a lot with the pivot but I will take a look when I take a look at it again.

Jason.

OK,

So as I got onto the motorway this morning I received a phone call telling me my next few days have now changed, so off home. I had an idea in the back of my head about how I can put 240v into my truck.

When we are camping we hook up the trailer to the 240v supply but the car fridge just gets a 12v supply for the fridge so the battery does not get a charge not an issue but something that seems a waste as power is available and having full batteries is always a bonus, I would also like to be able to charge my Laptop sometimes, plus I have been told that in Norway most truck stops have free hook ups for heating your cab so will be taking advantage of these and saving Diesel.

The trouble is I didn't want to cut a hole in my truck for a normal caravan/motor home power inlet and wanted it somewhere visible so was less likely to drive off with it connected.

The other day I came across the answer there is a big space under the OSF wing with a hole already cut,

img00252201204201711.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-24

So I started off a little CAD this morning and came up with this:

img00271201204241243.jpg

img00270201204241242.jpg

It seems to fit well, I have ordered an IP67 socket that will fit inside the box and the current air scoop will hinge to allow access.

img00273201204241245.jpg

img00272201204241244.jpg

There is room in there for an Anderson connection also so that will be my jump start point which will make life easier than messing with the open window.

The socket will be wired to a 2 way MCB via SWA, the MCB will be fitted in the storage unit but not permanently wired in so I will be able to remove the unit when required.

The CAD model will be submitted for initial fabrication in 3mm Ali I will then paint it and install the electrics, so another item ticked off the list I have also figured out the rear shelf and the sleeping platform again I just need some brackets fabricating so will get those done at the same time.

The 12v power sockets arrived today so I will get started fitting them I need a gauge and a single gang socket but they can wait as I need to finish 2 management summary's and heard some more kittens at work.

Jason.

Rather than SWA cable, you might want to use SY or CY cable, still armoured, but 10x more flexible!

But I don't have half a roll of them in the workshop... ^_^

Cheers Mike,

I did consider putting it in the cross member but after ripping off the 12v hook up twice I felt that putting it somewhere that I could see it would be best.. :blush: It may be difficult to miss a bright orange cable sticking out of my wing.

Jason.

If you're worried about an accidental drive-off whilst still connected to the 240v, you could put in a 240V relay to inhibit the stater motor?

Jason, you can get plugs that self eject when the starter is activated. American Fire trucks use them :)

Whilst both are great suggestions, by sticking an orange cable into the front OSF wing top my MK1 eyeball prevention system will keep things simple, the 12v lead went into the back door so was not easily seen.

Jason.

So this evening saw my attention turn towards the power system, I have been a little quiet about my plans here as I was bidding on something from eBay, anyway I won it and as it was just down the road went and picked it up at lunch time.

The Item in question was a National Luna power pack, listed as a National Luner power pack it was mine complete with all the fitting for £83 including a battery!!

nationalluna.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-26

img00283201204261537.jpg

I was hoping that it may fit but it became apparent that it wouldn't go behind the fridge, I was looking into putting it into the side pod, where it would have gone when I realised that the control pod was bolted onto the box, 1/4 of an hour later and the box and control pod were separated.

The system takes a direct feed from the battery and contains a smart DC/DC charging system it also contains various outlets including another 60amp Anderson connection that the Microwave from the trailer can use and a Hella socket for the fridge all of which can easily isolated via a breaker on the box.

img00281201204261524.jpg

I fitted the unit to the side pod and bolted the battery down with a bracket brought for the job, it all fits well and works well, I need to sort out the battery cable route and connection yet but as it's raining that can wait.

img00284201204261750.jpg

I will cut a piece of wood to go over the top of the battery and protect the terminals from falling objects this will also act as a shelf for the charger, which I have still got to fit together with the 240V side of the unit plus the plugs and bits in the back but am really happy with my find.

img00286201204261751.jpg

Jason.

img00272201204241244.jpg

There is room in there for an Anderson connection also so that will be my jump start point which will make life easier than messing with the open window.

The socket will be wired to a 2 way MCB via SWA, the MCB will be fitted in the storage unit but not permanently wired in so I will be able to remove the unit when required.

The CAD model will be submitted for initial fabrication in 3mm Ali I will then paint it and install the electrics, so another item ticked off the list I have also figured out the rear shelf and the sleeping platform again I just need some brackets fabricating so will get those done at the same time.

The 12v power sockets arrived today so I will get started fitting them I need a gauge and a single gang socket but they can wait as I need to finish 2 management summary's and heard some more kittens at work.

Jason.

Are you gonna have a drain hole on the bottom of this?

Are you gonna have a drain hole on the bottom of this?

Yes Barry, the original one was going to have a slope in it with holes at the 'deep end' although the that design has now changed the bottom will be drilled.

Jason.

Jason, you kept that quiet!

I've just had a rear canopy (over the back door) made. I'll get some poles over the weekend and take some pics.

I know, it was on a 9 day auction so I have had to wait for a while.. I couldn't believe it and the spelling mistake clearly made it slip under peoples radar.

I am a dab hand with the sewing machine and did look at a rear awning as have a 10m roll sitting next to the sewing machine but decided that because of the size you end up getting wet so not sure if they are worth it? I will watch with interest yours.

I have just ordered a load of Ali for the sleeping platform and with the aid of some CAD figured out how it will work and fold, the third lot of Veltrim turned up today so I can trim the shelf/sleeping extension, but more of that another day.

Jason.

The vans at work have a buzzer for when the ign is on with the fridge unit plugged in, drivers still drive off from time to time though :hysterical:

Same here, the number of times the plug on the wall of the depot has been pulled off the by fridge vans :lol; If they do remember to unplug it they never bother to put the cable in the van!

Jason, you kept that quiet!

I've just had a rear canopy (over the back door) made. I'll get some poles over the weekend and take some pics.

would be interested to see. I fancy some sort of canopy on the back of mine, but I have a cage to work round :unsure:

I am off to pay for the material cutting and folding tomorrow so needed to confirm that the box would work as they will fabricate the new one. The socket also showed up today it's got a 10 degree slope so the box can be flat.

img00290201204262024.jpg

img00288201204262023.jpg

img00291201204262024.jpg

Hopefully I will have the box made tomorrow so things should be good, I also will hopefully have the rear door shelf made, so it will just require a paint and that will be another one ticked off the list.

That box is makable :). Start with the bottom and fold up the sides, finally welding on the top flange

What about taking the wing top chequer plate off and having them weld it into that? as one piece?

I know it's makable but I am having someone make it!! :blush: They have cutting and folding gear and will knock it out in 5 mins, I don't and it would take me an age, and as I want it in Ali there welding is better than anything I can do!! This evening I decided that it will be better bolted on to the underside of the wing so sort of like your idea but just fastened up to the wing.

Jason.

If you aren't worried about the symmetry of having two scoops, using a blanking panel one instead might be a better idea :).

I like the symmetry and need the height it gives me, the pod will seal down the same as a blank wait for the finished item.

Jason.

I was meaning so you haven't got the scoop funneling rain and snow into the 'bucket' part.

Ah, I plan to block the scoop bit up so it's just the scoop cover, hot cover will hinge and be fastened to the wing with Dzus clips.

Jason.