Rear storage draw - My latest project

Project Completed, :D (well almost) I am still waiting for the boot for the Anderson connection in the wing but apart from that I'm done!!

Taking care of the little jobs always seems to take the longest!! First job was to fix the rattle from the back the fridge handle was banging against the new door shelf, this was quickly fixed with a bit of adhesive foam.

img00393201205131502.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-05-13

All the electrics are now finished and working, the fuse box has plenty of capacity which I'm sure will get used over time.

img00381201205091853.jpg

The rear power panel is now finished with the addition of a 50amp Anderson plug on the right of the panel, this can be used for the Microwave when required or anything else that requires higher current.

img00392201205131502.jpg

All of the fastenings have been attached to the shelf and the shelf fixed, the photo shows the thumb screws when they were too big but they have since been cut down.

img00391201205131502.jpg

I installed the charger onto the power board and swapped the 100a breaker for an RCD that I found in the box it should have been in but was hiding!!

img00389201205131501.jpg

img00386201205131501.jpg

img00387201205131501.jpg

The power unit looks a bit busy but there is still a DIN connector spare the grey Anderson connection supplies the fuse box and the rear power plug.

img00388201205131501.jpg

The bed support poles pack up under the seat with no issues although I will make some more permanent storage under there another day.

img00390201205131502.jpg

One of the last jobs to do was to add the jump start point into the wing box, although the connector will have a boot and cover I wanted to be able to isolate it so fitted a simple switch to the seat box that isolates the plug unless required.

img00384201205131500.jpg

The last thing to do was fit the plug into the wing and convert my jump leads to provide the other part, I came across this seller whist browsing the bay of E and got a couple of pairs of jump leads from them cost me less than £15 including postage which I was very happy with. One pair provided the connection from the battery box to the jump point and the others provided the jump lead part of the connection, as above I am just waiting for the boot cover and a handle which are on the way from the US and including postage are 1/3 of the UK price!!

img00385201205131501.jpg

I still need to address the storage box side and will post up the solution when done, I also need to sort out the storage solution for under the middle row seats but again that may be some time

Great build Jason really like watching your builds and I learn a lot. it's really good seeing someone putting a lot of thought and effort into a project and to have a professional finish

Thanks Antony, :blush:

I am really happy with the way this has turned out, although my amateur builds embarrass me compared to a lot of the builds that go on here, I pick up some great ideas from here so only share back what I have learnt, and the mistakes I make along the way.

I have a couple of other projects in my head that I hope to get of the ground this year, funds permitting... Next project is to re-wire the trailer with the bits I have learnt doing this and my new crimper!! Then I have a load of prep to do to the Land Rover for my trip to Norway next year.

Thanks again for your kind words, but I wouldn't have got there if it was not for the help support and ideas of forum members.

Jason.

• 3 weeks later...

OK so I have a couple of bits to finish off, I wanted to have options around storage and the dog guard keeping things in the back but not installing the metal top of the dog guard when using the bed. I looked around for some cargo netting to replace the top piece but couldn't find anything so decided to make my own!!! I found a guy on the bay that was selling 50m rolls of webbing for £10 so two were secured and I have just started to stitch them together!!! I have also ordered some buckles to clip it in I am also going to make one for the box section to retain them and also one for the rear door to catch anything that wants to fall out.

Lots of sewing to do but getting there:

A test piece first

wp000020b.jpg

Then onto cutting lots of straps:

wp000021i.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-05-31

The top ends are all looped over and will attach to a bar fitted to the top dog guard bracket:

wp000023b.jpg

First row stitched in just got to sort the rest out now:

wp000022j.jpg

wp000026j.jpg

Just got to crack on making the rest and wait for the clips but it shouldn't take long.

Jason.

So I cracked on with things last night:

The net was completed, it was actually fairly easy once I had got into things, I know it's not 100% square but it's close enough for me.

wp000027.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-06-01

Attention then turned to fastening, I wanted to use clips so that it is easily removable

wp000028y.jpg

These were then fixed to the net.

wp000030.jpg

wp000032s.jpg

The net is now done so I just need to move onto the rear net now I may also make something for the bonnet to keep ropes under and will improve the straps on the roof tent cover.

I've used about 18 meters so still have 82 to go!! I brought a pack of 25 clips and have used for so if I don't count the stuff I have left the net has cost me £2 for the webbing and £3 for the clips if I chuck in a £1 for the cotton all in it's been £6 for the net which I am very pleased with.

Jason.

That looks great Jason!

What does it stand you in terms of time?

Cheers Ross, I guess it took me about 2-3 hours by the time I had figured out what I wanted and the best method of construction etc, I have just finished the net for the box area which took me about 3/4 of an hour so getting quicker!!

Just got to fix it in and then make the top one now, Mrs S is out tonight so I guess my evening will be spent in front of the sewing machine!!

wp000033d.jpg

wp000037a.jpg

Jason.

Final net made this afternoon, well final of this set it's for the rear top just got to fix them now which may happen tomorrow. Not sure how many more I have to make yet but may make one from the shelf down to the back shelf. although I have run out of thread now so need to get some more.

They have turned out really well and will be more than fit for purpose, so happy with my investment in 100 meters of webbing and 25 clips although it looks like I will need to order some more now.

wp000043z.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-06-02

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

I bit the bullet this week and purchased four wolf boxes, I normally use Plastor boxes but they were not quiet the right size so took a risk based upon measurements provided that four would fit in the space available.

Now I know that Wolf boxes can be a PITA and the catches can break but they fit which is probably more important!! The good news is that they fit :D to be honest they are a little tight getting them in but they are for spares/tools etc so I don't need to be in them every 2 seconds so they will be fine. Just got to fit the storage nets now and get another box for the top and then I'm about done, I think!!

wp000102w.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-06-15

Jason.

I wouldn't worry too much about broken clips. You can get spares. A couple of my boxes have only two clips per box now.

Not really worried Mike, just don't like buying something when my existing solution is better, but as the wolf boxes fit the space they were really the only thing fit for purpose, I know I can get some new catches but that's not really the point, it bugs me a little bit when I buy something with a known design flaw!!

Jason.

I havent read the whole topic so you may have mentioned this already but a good alternative to the Wolf boxes is Really Useful Boxes. I have used various sized ones for general storage for ages and they are pretty robust. Im thinking of making a rear storage system in my discovery using the 50 litre ones.

I havent read the whole topic so you may have mentioned this already but a good alternative to the Wolf boxes is Really Useful Boxes. I have used various sized ones for general storage for ages and they are pretty robust. Im thinking of making a rear storage system in my discovery using the 50 litre ones.

I use some of them in the trailer, but to be honest don't find them as good/strong as the Plastor boxes they also seem to get scored and stained fairly easily and then look rubbish. I did in this instance look at the Really Useful ones but the sizes didn't work out, where as you can see the wolf ones fit perfectly.

Jason.

So we are about there :D I got round to filling the boxes and fitting two of the 3 nets today so done. I have been trying to figure out what it has all cost me, so did some figures today!! :blush:

It's cost me a bit more than I thought, although it started out as just a storage compartment but progressed from there so the cost of the Ail extra carpet and boxes all added up.

So all in I am at about £926.77 which was considerably more than I thought when I started this project, but still cheaper than I could have brought all the bits for, if I could have brought a unit? I f I could have brought one?

Some photos:

wp000116w.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-06-17

wp000119y.jpg

The top net looks a bit loose but it is designed to retain other bits in front of the boxes as show when pulling the box forward.

wp000122f.jpg

The nets are fixed is with rivnuts and big washers they hold will and will retain the nets without an issue.

wp000123g.jpg

Regards, Jason.

Great work, looking to do something very similar with my 110 CSW, currently rebuilding mine from the bottom up in the members area.

Will keep a eye on this one!

Thanks Adam,

I am really happy with the way things have turned out and it has given me loads of storage, more than I know what to do with at the moment but I am sure that will soon change!!

I have been watching your rebuild of Jimmy, interested in your paint choice I guess only time will tell how it holds up.

Cheers Jason.

Jason, when do you sleep?

Every night, just not for that long...

I've figured it out now......catch up while flying to Malta!

I've finally got some of that fantastic 3M stuff, and getting ready to do the back of Kettle on my free weekend next week, did you warm stuff up before you applied it? can't find the post at the moment, maybe need to go back further than I thought...

Edit:finally found it, way back on pages 3 and 4!

I've figured it out now......catch up while flying to Malta!

I've finally got some of that fantastic 3M stuff, and getting ready to do the back of Kettle on my free weekend next week, did you warm stuff up before you applied it? can't find the post at the moment, maybe need to go back further than I thought...

Edit:finally found it, way back on pages 3 and 4!

Dam,

You have discovered my life, it's true I power nap on aircraft!! At an average of 1.5 return flights a week it gives me lots of time to sleep. I didn't heat the stuff as it would make it even more adhesive than it was but would spray soapy water down first to allow for positioning first.

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, I am happy with it, it worked well at the B&W show just need to make a couple of changes mainly to the wolf boxes !! The fridge worked well and the battery kept the fridge working and the beers cold well past 48 hours.

Jason.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to be using the bed as a test run for the first time this weekend as the group of us going to Norway are getting together. It became clear that having the metal dog guard in when I wanted to use the bed would be a PITA so I needed to fit a net storage guard.

wp000039h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I made the net when I did the others but hadn't got around to fitting it, 1/4 of an hour later and it was fitted, I am going to make a bag for the legs later just to have somewhere to stash them, but that can wait.

Jason.