EGT fitting

Dalai Lama

I am in the process of fitting an exhaust temp gauge. The instructions suggest drilling into the turbo housing and taping a thread to fix the temp probe.

I was looking at the turbo on my 300 tdi and wondering whether I can just drill through the blanking plate on the EGR and using that instead of drilling through the housing

Any one know if this is okay

Cheers

Ashley

Me too... But I wonder if welding in a piece of female threaded tube at an angle like White 90 has done would make any difference. With the thermocouple is put straight in, it really doesn't get into the exhaust stream but rather into the pocket below where the EGR valve sat. But I assume the temperature will be the same there as further into the manifold... :unsure:

Thanks everyone

Thats helpful

Now, I've ordered a blanking plate off ebay so I can sort it out before removing the old plate

One other question - do I drill and then tap into the plate or can I drill the plate and bolt the probe through it. Is the plate thick enough to be tapped

or

do I weld a bolt ontop and srew the probe into the bolt

Cheers

Ashley

whats the point in fitting these? :mellow: surly the temp gauge is enough?

These give you the exhaust gas temperature within seconds, this is pretty much the closest you will get to measuring the temperature in the cylinders. The temperature changes surprisingly quickly as the load on the engine changes, you never notice this from a normal engine temperature gauge. If the temperature gets above 700 ish centigrade for a while you can melt a piston and other bits and pieces. In the mean time your normal gauge would still be showing the temp as normal.

If you start adjusting your injector pump to get better performance it is very easy to raise your EGT's to dangerous temperatures and ruin your engine..... worth adding an EGT gauge before you destroy your engine.