Unusual Find In The Oil Sump

tuko

Leading up to removing the oil sump this week I've been having oil pressure issues with the 300Di. Replacing the oil pressure switch solved nothing and the next reasonable culprit was the oil pressure valve spring and plunger.

Removing the oil sump I found to my surprise a washer sitting there in the little oil that was left. The washer is no more that 7 or 8 mm across and 1 mm thick.

post-194-0-16742100-1318753953_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-12983200-1318753966_thumb.jpg

When I installed this motor two years ago I removed and resealed the oil sump and know for a fact that it was perfectly clean at the time. I'm totally bewildered what this small washer has come from. All the usual questions what where why how are unanswerable by me. Therefore the post here, is there anybody here that is an 300Tdi expert and would have the slightest where this has came from and should I be worried?

BTW, my oil pressure issues are behind me now with the replacement of the oil pressure valve spring.

Todd.

I found a very similar washer in my oil pan (300tdi). Mine was broken in pieces and it seemed to be hardened. I bought the engine second hand and I removed the sump to check the engine before installing it into my Disco.

By a system of elimination, I believe it is part of the mechanical fuel pump as it can conceivably drop down from the innards of that pump into the sump.

My pump did not work either and the mechanism seemed to be jammed in the compressed position instead of following the cam shaft. I replaced the pump and I was going to dismantle the pump to confirm the theory but I haven't got around to doing it yet

You may want to check your fuel pump.

The IP has a lift pump in it anyway which pulls fuel from the tank and the engine will run without the external pump in working order though probably not as well.

I would be interested to know if you have had to replace this pump since the last time you dropped the sump or perhaps you need to at present.

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

no the pump works perfectly fine. I was thinking that it possibly had something to do with the valve caps, so when I adjusted the valves yesterday I replaced them. But other than uneven wear patterns on the face of them they were ok.

The engine runs fine, other than an unusual rattle that it developed a few months ago. But since removing this washer the rattle it totally gone and the motor is back to its old self.

I will take a look at the fuel pump tomorrow.

Cheers,

Todd.

Off the top of my head it looks like an injector tip washer, but then it would have to take a very interesting route in order to end up in the sump pan.

Les.

Wouldn't it have to be brass if it was one of those?

I studied an exploded view of the 300tdi and looked at all the parts shown and the ways something could get into the sump and I couldn't find anything that small. The fuel pump is about the only thing that can empty into the sump other than the oil from the cylinder head.

Mine was not the sort of washer that you use under a screw, it had a shiny wear surface on it and I think it was because it broke (shattered not bent) that it found its way into the pan.

I have done about 8 k miles since I found it and other that a bit of piston slap, my engine does not seem to make any strange noises.

My washer had to have a OD of about 10mm and an ID of about 5mm, thickness about 1 mm or perhaps less.

Steve

That's very strange. It doesn't look like an injector washer, those are indeed brass.

It looks like a spacer for something, or a very strong washer.

I can't really imagine what it could be from, but I haven't had my bottom end open (yet).

Todd.

What were the oil pressure symptons and which spring did you renew ?

The oil pressure light was flickering at start up and was lit up much longer than usual plus flickered at high revs, for example just before shifting up to the next gear. The engine did seem to be noisier or there was more tappet noise. :huh: The parts I replaced are:

ERR1084 RELIEF VALVE SPRING 300TDI

ERR1085 RELIEF VALVE PLUNGER 300TDI

ERR1086 OIL PUMP RELIEF VALVE CAP 300TDI

After replacing the above parts it solved the oil pressure issues that I was having. The week before I did replace PRC6387 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH but it wasn't the problem.

Todd.

Thanks Todd. I have an oil pressure problem. Low at tick over when warm.15lb 45lb when started and it's like that for some time. I've used the same oil for years, so I'm not as yet blaming that. I had the oild pump let go earlier this year so I've fitted a new one.