So what's breaking now?

jeremy996

Took my little boy and three of his mates up to the National Railway Museum yesterday and have noticed a new problem - lower top speed, oil thrown out into the air filter via the breather, oil drips from the filter, when stationary and a lot more blow-by at tickover. I got through 2 litres of lube oil in 200 miles.

My LR is a 163,000 mile 2.5TD and I'd guess I have a broken ring or similar. Suggestions would be gratefully received for what may be broken, the most efficient fix, suitable engine reconditioners, finding a 200tdi or whathaveyou. Do I take the vehicle off the road for a proper rebuild by Liveridge or similar? Suggestions for suitable rebuilders etc?

Possibly cracked pistons &/or head, most 2.5TD engine give up like this after 100,000 or so miles mine went at 102360 & my cousings died at 142,000, I wouldn't spend any on rebuilding it look for a good 200 or 300Tdi unit instead, you won't regret the change :i-m_so_happy:

I would say cracked piston/s.

catflap has the same engine as you, and was doing the same thing - oily air filter, gutless (well, more than normal!). I had two cracked pistons - one was getting a bit close to a complete split.

Mark Jenkins of this forum had the same symptoms with this engine, and he also had a cracked piston. A full set of pistons with rings and gudgeon pins is not far short of £200 for a set. Head gasket etc as well, and 1/2 days work. The problem is caused by heat stress, and I have tried to combat this by fitting an intercooler from a 200TDi.

Piccys to give you nightmares:-

med_gallery_2_28_67827.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_412753.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_415141.jpg

Les. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I would say cracked piston/s.

Piccys to give you nightmares:-

Les. :)

Oh, yes! I have nightmares.

I would like to swap the 2.5TD for a 200Tdi, but they seem to have disappeared from the market now I need one.

Does anyone have or could recommend a supplier for a 200Tdi, ancillaries and a radiator, ideally from a defender, (although now I don't think I can be fussy), for sensible money? :(

Unless it all can be done for less than £2K, posting the 2.5TD to Turners for a proper rebuild starts to look attractive. :blink:

Isn't a loss leader something cheap that is supposed to attract people in and encourage them to buy other similar goods?

Don't know that the 2.5 is the best choice in that department :lol:

Picky............ but correct! :ph34r:

To add to the recommendation to buy a complete Discovery - I have just done this (admittedly to fit in a RR soa straight swap) and got a crash damaged example (very mild rear end damage). I am now just above break even on the deal having sold on other bits. Mind you, a lot of that was the sale of my V8 and box....... Even so, you will be surprised how much you can recoup, especially if you find on e with 24 spline axles as they are always in demand...

no I stand by it

rebuild the 2.5TD at slightly cheaper cost

only to return not to long afterwards for:

further rebuilds

200TDI conversion

at greater overall cost.

Bin the 2.5TD and get a TDI you'll not look back

I've taken on the sage council offered by the forum and others, so an engine swap is arranged for the 11th September, having worked out that a Turner's rebuild of the TD and a used 200Tdi conversion cost about the same. The only scary bit is that the 200Tdi is a bit of an unknown quantity, being 2nd hand, so fingers crossed.

I'd love to have bought a whole Disco and parted it out but my wife has threatened me with serious violence if I clutter the drive up with more junk or put yet more oil on the drive. I've passed the work to my local Land Rover toy shop, Tuff Toys 4x4, in Melton Mowbray, so hope the only additional inconvenience is signing another large cheque.

To help pay for this activity, please look at the roof rack on the classified pages!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my newly converted 110 CSW back today with its 200Tdi engine. I rather scared myself with its first lunge from the garage to the road - suddenly I have a lot more power!

The old 2.5TD was gloriously sick, oil blown everywhere, failed main oil seals, dodgy preheaters, low compression on all cylinders, basically it was a boat anchor.

I am now going to have to watch my speed as now I could get a ticket!

One thing I have noticed is the "rougher" sound of the 200Tdi, I'd guess its the consequence of direct injection, would an underbonnet soundproofing kit make much difference?

PS set of Kenlowes in the classifieds for a 2.5TD