Who makes chassis on behalf of Britpart?

twodoorgaz

Does anyone know who makes the galvanized 88" chassis for Britpart? I'm guessing they subcontract the fabrication.

I'll be looking to buy one in about 6-8 weeks (payday) and of course my first choice both in terms of quality and price is a Richards chassis (£995+VAT+delivery) but as they are only available direct or from Paddocks there is little room for negotiation.

However as Britpart is available at my local dealer I'd say there's a better shot at negotiating a deal - or at least it would seem worthwile to attempt to do so - and I wouldn't have any delivery fee to pay.

But as I once swore to the heavens that I would never fit another Britpart part to my cars as long as I have breath in my body, the only way I'd consider it is if I knew they were actually made in the UK by Richards/Marsland/anybody else etc.

Does anyone know who makes them?

Many thanks.

Thanks but Britpart won't give out that information unfortunately, I have tried, and I've asked three different suppliers if they know - no luck.

Realistically the only way the information will be available is if someone has heard a rumour, hence my post...

I had what i think was a britpart galvernized chassis 10 years ago, the finish was alright but things where a little out and it took some fettling to get everything to fit properly, no idea what they are like now but if you can inspect before you comit to buying...

I've had a Richards 109 chassis, slightly modified, they will be getting the orders for the 88's chassis and the other 109's chassis in due course, no question. Fine job, always a help on the end of the email (i hate using phones), can't comment on the fit yet as I havent got that far with the motor!

I fitted a Richards 88" galv chassis a few years back. Absolutely spot on quality wise and everything fitted 1st time. You get what you pays for. I'll be ordering another chassis from them for my 90 next year... it never ends...

Richards is definately my number one choice, definately don't need convincing on the quality of their work.

I'm only checking with the forum to make sure that I'm not missing a trick - in case it was common knowledge that the Britpart ones were actually made by a reputable firm, to reputable standards using reputable materials.

I'm guessing it isn't known.

That being the case its off to Richards I go...

(by the way if anyone fancies a laugh - how about the shipping quote below)

Paddocks are around £35 + VAT cheaper for buying a (bog-standard) Richards Chassis than it is to go direct - obviously due to bulk purchase discount.

Great I thought.

Just called to get a delivery quote - £462 plus VAT = £554!!!!!

They said that its delivered directly from the manufacturer and its them who set the delivery charge, unlikely I said as Richards (the manufacturer) are only charging £163 + VAT for delivery. The girl at Paddocks was laughing the same as I was.

Guess by undercutting Richards list price by £35 they have to add a mark-up somewhere (unless they made a mistake).

Either way I think I'll just be borrowing a Luton van/flatbed Transit and collecting in person.

I bought mine through Bearmach, but not before checking where it came from first. I was assured it was a Richards one which seems to tarry since it is made for 4 flat sections welded along the corners as Richards Chassis are. If it is constructed from 2 C sections like the original then it could be a Marsland one. Not sure how Designa build theirs or indeed how many other manufacturers there are out there.

Landrover style chassis construction is something I have always thought left a lot to be desired, particularly the 4 plate style.There is a firm in the USA that advertises mandrel bent chassis for Jeeps, presumably made from standard section RHS. Is there a firm in the UK that offer similar for Landrovers to cater for owners that are not fussed about originality?

I have not seen any aftermarket chassis yet that is not the 4 plate welded version. It is indeed not the greatest way of making a chassis because of the amount of welding. But to make the pressed c sections would require a huge amount of investement that probably wont pay back with the amount of chassis manufactured.

Daan

Did you get the Jeep Tj Wranglers in the UK? I looked under one a while back and the knurled roller marks from the box section tube bender was clearly visible. That type of constuction appeals to me, but would need to use RHS of a bit thicker steel than LRs 2mm and of less bulky dimensions.Would be relatively easy for an aftermarket chassis maker to tool up for I would imagine, compared to fabricating a 4 plate design with all the issues of trying to keep the finished article straight, true and ripple free.Not that LandRover concerned themselves too much with those matters.

Bill.