Rev Counter with mind of its own

Hi

Hope someone on the forum can help me diagnose an issue I have with a VDO rev counter I have fitted to my 200 TDI Defender 90.

The rev counter works fine up to approximately 3000 RPM. Indicates correctly with a blip on the accelerator pedal. Once you reach 3000 RPM which equates to around 65 MPH then the rev counter dies and drops to zero. Now I don't do this kind of speed very often but I noticed it the other day on a down hill wind behind me run. Once the revs reduce the rev counter springs back into life.

The rev counter gets the signal from the "W" terminal on the alternator so I'm wondering if either my alternator is slipping above 3000 RPM, but I cannot hear any screeching from the belt, or if the alternator is stopping outputting over 3000 RPM. Any ideas?

Cheers

Sean

My first thought would be to check the condition of the belt and the tension. I had it on mine that it was slow to catch up with the revs and over about 2k rpm it wouldn't get much faster. Belt was shredded and loose.

Doesn't sound that likely as Sean said his rev counter drops to zero when he goes over 3000rpm, if it was just slipping then it would stay steady or creep up/down.

I'd place bets on it being something electrical breaking down, whether it be in the rev counter or alternator I don't know. Any chance of testing it on another alternator?

I was having trouble with my alternator recently. Tacho was all over the place, also had all lights pulsing as the voltage was bouncing between 14-16 volts. turned out to be a nut under where the positive terminal bolts on was loose, it never stopped charging though, assume u dont have any other symptoms but thought it might be worth mentioning....

I believe that some rev counters with a wide sweep often have two coils mounted at 90 degees to one another, and a magnet on the needle shaft. The RPM is converted into a voltage in the normal way, and one coil is fed with the sine of this voltage and the other with the cosine. This gives a linear wide sweep which would be impossible to achieve with the normal moving coil and spring arrangement found in conventional meters.

Sounds like one of your coils is not working for some reason....

maybe it's just not reading the incoming signal from the alternator W terminal, if the 3 slider switches on the rev counters rear face are not set then the rev counter will show a incorrect reading,

I have a similar rev counter on my 200tdi, the 3 slides are numbered 1,2,3. put 1 & 3 up & 2 down,

if moving the sliders doesn't make any difference, the rev counter may be faulty.

Alternator brushes? If they're worn and making poor contact at higher RPM, they could be generating a waveform at the alt's "W" terminal that the revcounter can't handle.

--Tanuki.

“One dollar can save a life - the opposite must also be true!"

Thanks for all the feedback gents.

Gives me things to check and go through. Probably start off at the alternator and work my way back.

Will let you know how I get on. Now all I need is some daylight and my day job not to get in the way.

Cheers

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Okay sorry for taking so long to update. The verdict is in.

A loose alternator belt and a very polished alternator pulley. Belt now screeches when cold and the rev counter doesn't spring to life until things have warmed up a little.

Is there an "easy" way to adjust the alternator to give me belt tension?

Work and lack of daylight keep preventing me from getting under the bonnet and fixing this. Plus it's blumming freezing. How I envy people with a garage. Can I get to it from underneath easier, or do I need to remove the air filter and intercooler pipes.

If I can nurse it along until the weekend then I may get it fixed.

Cheers

Sean