Winch installation

godzilla84

Does anybody have any advice regarding the installation of an electric winch on a tdi discovery. With regards to cable routing, fitting a cut off switch etc. Some pictures showing what you have done maybe?

The instructions for wiring it just say to connect te red cable to positive and black to negative on the battery (i thought that bit was obvious) but dont but do not mention a safety switch although there was one included.

Any advice gratefully recieved as usual

Mark

well that is about the jist of it really,you just need to decide where to put the cut off switch.then it's just a case of of wiring it up.

cable from battery + to one side of switch then connect other side to winch cable.the only problem you will have is the length of the cables they supply as they may be too short so you will just have to get some made up.

Thats a good link.

Especially this; "But if the solenoid has welded in the closed position your method won't stop the winch!", because we had this happen. It did it once and was fine afterward. But thank goodness we had a cutoff!

I'd go for a wing cutoff switch with a bowden cable to the cab. Shortest cable route + instant driver responce :)

They are saying there that the 'red key' isn't big enough at 100 amp, and I think that may not be far off the truth. I had one and it was okay, but I always felt it was the weak link, so got a big 300amp Duright thing. Also got a 300amp mega fuse in the power line and a 500 spare in the tool box.

what about a modified starter solenoid. this is effectively a HUUGE relay. and if you cut the un needed end off the rod (in the right place and might not be quite as 100% simple as that) it would work and it would definately have the capacity for the power. and im sure you cna get one for less than £51

When i fitted mine, I attached a small plate behind the grill, near one of the horns, after trimming the grill, theis then gives a nice place to mount the cutoff switch.

My cut off switch is wired between the motor and contactor block, so that it should always isolate the motor. Ive also wired the wireless winch controller on to the output side of the safety cut off, This means that the wireless is only active when the winch is.

Dan

I'll take some pics tomorrow of my unit and post them. I have a 5HP. 12000 kilo unit with 28 meters of 8mm steel cable connected via 6mm live and earth cables to the secondry battery. In my instance the relay is built-in and it has a remover cable and wireless remote.

5hp ok - I dont doubt that

12000kilo, should that be 12000 lbs ?

28meter/8mm steel cable, I don't doubt that either

but 6MM LIVE AND EARTH CABLES ? (Sorry for shouting).

You wont get 5hp out of that one.

16mm cables could work, but be careful when using the winch on a heavy load. Do you have a fuse on your winch ?

I have 4x40amp auto reset fuses, and they do cut the power to my winch when I use it.

Maybe he means 6mm dia ~ 30mm2?

Even so, a little light IMHO, but not as bad as running the same from the battery box on a defender to the front of the vehicle!

Cable run length makes a huge difference when pulling ~300A, I'm going with 70mm2 stuff for my rear winch (in an RRC), at least to the contactor, from there is is short lengths of 35mm2

Youre right, it is a 5HP electric motor and 12000 lbs, I'm so used to metric :blush: and the cable is 6mmin OD, and it was supplied with the winch so i guess its more than sufficient, at any rate it hauled the Puffer up a 45 degree plus slope we found just to try it out.

post-31622-0-17532900-1323132110_thumb.jpgpost-31622-0-46231400-1323132147_thumb.jpgpost-31622-0-84185900-1323132166_thumb.jpgpost-31622-0-67295300-1323132186_thumb.jpgpost-31622-0-41289000-1323132205_thumb.jpgpost-31622-0-42905200-1323132227_thumb.jpgpost-31622-0-58552500-1323132259_thumb.jpgpost-31622-0-47985500-1323132286_thumb.jpg

Okay you should be able to get some idea of the install. The supply cable is around 400mm in length, the earth shares the same earth post as the second / auxillary battery. all this unit does at present is supply power to the three cigar style power points in the car, the satellite phone, the CB radio and the winch. It will also supply power to recharge the trailer battery setup when its connected. The trailer also has a solar recharge unit to keep the traler battery charged and the fridge running -- warm beer being a horrible thing to contemplate.