New MoT Testable Items from 01 Jan 2012

Puffernutter

The following items will now be testable from Jan 01 2012 - so does anybody have a cheap way of resetting my SRS warning light!

Annex B: List of New Testable Components

• Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps
  • Main beam ‘tell-tale’
  • Battery (including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles)
  • Electrical wiring and connectors
  • Trailer electrical socket security and damage
  • Operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets using an approved trailer socket tester
  • Operation of the steering lock (where fitted) including that malfunction warning is not displayed for an electronic steering lock
  • Electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault
  • Electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
  • Electronic Stability Control (ESC) components, including the switch (if fitted) and malfunction warning
  • Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
  • SRS components including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters and SRS malfunction warning lamp
  • Engine mountings
  • Speedometer
  • Indirect vision devices (where they replace obligatory mirrors)

Cheers

Peter

Agreed, but I understood on the D1 that if the fault occurred when the system was powered up, it needed a kick from the diagnostic unit to reset it. I had to change my heater matrix, so powered everything down, left it for 30 minutes, stripped the dash, plugged it all back in and it was fine. :i-m_so_happy: BUT, a couple of weeks later the steering column rotary coupler broke and I had a fault with the steering wheel SRS :wacko: . The steering column rotary coupler was replaced with a known good one (and I buzzed it through as well - without the air bag attached!), but because the fault happened with it powered up, it wont reset automatically (at least that is what I was told).

Have I been misled?

Cheers

Peter

I always thought that the battery was a testable item anyway (security), also the speedo, though I'd love to know how it will now be tested. Electronis ones may be easy, as I guess the tester would just plug into the vehicles OBD socket. I've seen the gadget that they will be using to check trailer sockets, just a plug and a small board with a set of indicator lights on it. Might be worth mentioning that there's a new MOT certificate now - no longer a nice, environmentally friendly green sheet of A4. You now get what looks like a terrible forgery - a white sheet of A4 with black printing on it. The important difference is that advisories are listed on it - rather than on a seperate sheet, which dodgy sellers may not give you when you buy another car, so potentially a disaster the next time you go for the MOT. Fail sheet is the same, as you have to do the items listed on it in order to obtain an MOT. The new MOT certificate is just a reciept, as big brother knows if you have an MOT or not.

Watch out for oil leaks becoming a fail - rather than advisory item. It's rare for me to work on a vehicle that hasn't got even a slight oil leak somewhere on the engine/gearbox/axles.

Les.

Looks like it has more details here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Special%20Notice%2009-11.pdf

and they have updated the manual here http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

Turns out speedo accuracy isn'ttested so defender drivers can breathe a sigh of relief :)

Looks like door hinges are also included now...

So, is that still recording a fault with the airbag then?

Cheers

Peter

If your light is on the abs ecu is seeing a fault.

There are going to be an awfull lot of upset people when these new items become RFR's,

Another little gem that is not on the list above is that any suspension or steering ball joint gaiter/rubber insecure or split will be a fail, that'll be pretty much every defender drop arm ball joint failing.

Electrical wiring and connectors???

How on earth are they going to do that one? Unplug every one? Sounds like a recipe for massive electrical problems to me.

My SRS light has never come on, how do I falt find that? It's not the bulb.

These are the new failure reasons for wiring

2.Electrical wiring:

a. insecure or inadequately supported so that it is likely to become damaged

b. damaged or deteriorated to the extent that it is likely to cause a short circuit or become detached

c. insulation damaged or deteriorated to the extent that bare wiring or connectors are exposed.

3.A trailer electrical socket:

a.insecure

b.damaged or deteriorated to the extent that the connecting lead could not be securely connected.

4.A trailer 13 pin Euro-socket not operating the trailer lamps as intended.

theres only 1 thing that got me worried, my speedo is rather out with the disco diffs in.

im wandering, short of going for a test drive, with another type of speed determining gadget i.e. satnav. how are they going to test this?

Might be worth mentioning that there's a new MOT certificate now - no longer a nice, environmentally friendly green sheet of A4. You now get what looks like a terrible forgery - a white sheet of A4 with black printing on it.

Les.

Ha, I got one of these recently for SWMBO's Corsa. I got out to the carpark and went back in because I thought they'd forgotten to give me the ticket, :lol:

theres only 1 thing that got me worried, my speedo is rather out with the disco diffs in.

im wandering, short of going for a test drive, with another type of speed determining gadget i.e. satnav. how are they going to test this?

Well the pdf says...

Reason for failure

1.Speedometer not fitted.

2.Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or the dial glass broken or missing.

3.The speedometer cannot be illuminated.

So basically as long as the needle moves.... and you can see it at night :)

Even says can't be failed for broken glass unless it stops you reading it

All airbag and abs lights have to go out and the systems must function if the fault is no longer present.

The fault will still be logged but the light will be off.

This is not correct,several earlier LR systems,esp SRS ones will not reset without Testbook.ABS is the same depending on the system and particular fault that put the lamp on.

Interesting, my last disco didn't it was a 1994 es,

I used to pull the fuses for the airbag when the kids seat was in the front, and unplug the abs modulator in the snow as it made the car slide about too much.

replacing the fuses and re-connecting the modulator would always take the warning lights back out,

Everything modern i work on daily operates in the same way as well,

I'm pretty sure i was told, that is a legal requirement for safety systems to reactivate if no fault is present.

That's the problem I think. My faulted under power and now needs a reset. I have powered the system down and removed air bags etc., and as long as they are re-attached when you power back up again, you're OK. The airbag disconnected through the rotary coupler when the system was powered up and even now with a new rotary coupler I was told it needs to be reset by the diagnostic kit. This is a 1996 Disco 1 300Tdi with a mechanical injector pump, my only ECU is for the SRS.

Cheers

Peter

Interesting, my last disco didn't it was a 1994 es,

I used to pull the fuses for the airbag when the kids seat was in the front, and unplug the abs modulator in the snow as it made the car slide about too much.

replacing the fuses and re-connecting the modulator would always take the warning lights back out,

Everything modern i work on daily operates in the same way as well,

I'm pretty sure i was told, that is a legal requirement for safety systems to reactivate if no fault is present.

Thats because the ecu's were not able to power up,no power no ability to log faults.The worst one was low battery voltage on start up for soft dash classics,that made the srs lamp stay on.That earnt me plenty from scabby car dealers who had overpriced rusty heaps on their forecourts for ages.Nice customers didnt get charged for a reset.

I always thought that the battery was a testable item anyway (security),

new MOT certificate now - no longer a nice, environmentally friendly green sheet of A4. You now get what looks like a terrible forgery - a white sheet of A4 with black printing on it. The important difference is that advisories are listed on it - rather than on a seperate sheet, which dodgy sellers may not give you when you buy another car,

Les.

i suspect as you know, its obvious on the green sheets cause it states of an advisory sheet have been issued. But why do they have to change it? :excl::angry2: anyway you can always double check to see if the seller is legit? :)