Stopping Trapped Seatbelts

Before someone starts: I know I should make sure that the seatbelt is carefully tucked out of harms way before I close the door, but...

Does anyone know of a good way to stop the seatbelts getting trapped in the door lock striker on the Defender (front door, 90)? I've noticed that brand new Defenders are the same, so Land Rover haven't fixed it themselves yet :rolleyes:

Ta muchly,

That is rather like:

Q: How do I stop my Landrover gearbox leaking?

A: Remove drain plug. Wait for all oil to drain out (if any). Replace plug.

Seriously, my Defender's seat belts do not get stuck in the locks. Maybe my seat belt arrangement is different as the belts were locally made.

Sorry, but both my 90 (1988) and my Dad's 2004 110 have this problem, and I'm fairly sure it's a common issue.

Didn't realise I'd offend anyone by asking a Defender related question on a Defender message board. :(

So you're saying take the seatbelts out or remove the doors to solve the problem? Thanks, I can see Mr MOT man being happy with that :o I really don't see how it's the same question, you could apply your logic to anything. :rolleyes:

Anyone got a real idea or solution?

You misunderstand me if you think I am offended by any question about a Defender - it's just that the same questions tend to keep on coming up and LR themselves seem to do nothing to fix most of these niggles.

Anyway, here is a foto of my seat belt arrangement. The belts never get stuck in the locks. Could be because the return spring on the reel is stronger than the one you have? The vehicle was made mostly from a CKD excluding the chassis, glass, battery, tyres and the seat belts. Funnily enough the rear seet belts get caught in the locks sometimes ;)

P1010075Small.jpg

When I owned a 1984 110 Station Wagon, there where nylon straps on the side of the seatbase that held the lower end of the seat belt webbing. These were held onto the seat base with a screw at each end through an expanding tab. One of mine broke/snapped, and when searching for a replacement found that they were not listed in the parts book !

A similar arrangement could be made using a strip of flexible plastic (wide cable tie). :)

My vehicle had the type of locks with the plastic shrouds fitted to the body pillars.

We used this same type of lock to upgrade my brothers S111 109 SW with great success - no more slamming of doors. :D