Memory Maps to OpenStreetMaps

Gazzar

Like many of us, I have a some old "MemoryMap" electronic format Discoverer Maps - the 1 to 25,000 scale OS maps, that cover all of Great Britain.

These maps are very expensive, and are in a proprietary format (*.qct), which means you can't use them on non-memory map software.

I'd like to report that it is now possible to convert *.qct maps to an "open" format, using a piece of software called "GlobalMapper 13".

It's not a cheap option, but it allows you to use your own *.qct maps in some other mapping applications, as many offer the option of using the OpenStreetMap format.

Examples include:

MapTools Pro: for the HP TouchPad

ViewRanger: for many devices, including SymbianNokia, Apple or Android.

I've no relationship with the developer of GlobalMapping, but have tried the export function and it works very well, though it does take a very long time (1/2 hour for a normal map - 1 hour for a bigger map).

Also the output takes up a LOT of space, I think it's twice the space the QCT format takes.

I hope that this is of some use.

• Like 1

As an alternative I did find and make some modifications to a bunch of Python (it's a scripting / programming language) scripts that were able to decompose the .qct files into loads of little .pngs. Note the .qct files only contain the "imagery" whilst the other extension (I forget off the top of my head) contains the terrain profiles. Unfortunately I have no knowledge about how to interpret these. I also seem to remember a pdf that detailed the file-format which should be with the scripts.

I have no idea where I found the original (many years ago) but still have a copy lying around somewhere on my computer. If people want a copy to try out then they can PM me.

Ah, I suspect we are only a small bit of computer wizardry away from a little programme (or an "app" as they are now known) that will convert QCT to OSM, without having to buy an expensive piece of software!

[in a Mr Burns type voice]

Excellent.

G.

If you google for 'tilers-tools' you will find a set of scripts which can convert the png files into an OSM style file tree.

I did use the scripts Ed Poore mentioned many moons ago to break the memory map data down to raw graphics files. As far as I remember I had to write another script to create calibration files for OziExplorer.

More recently I played around with using tilers-tools to chop up some of my 1:10k ozi map files and create an OSM map tree to use as local data on my smartphone.

So yes, all the tricky bits are done for you, just needs someone to spend some time gluing it all together.

I'm using the .qct maps directly wih an Android app called MM Tracker, it's about a fiver but works on my HTC and my tablet, and it's a cracking app too - it has map rotation and night modes etc, which my PC version of MemoryMap never had. It also uses the mobile network position (on the phone) to augment the GPS Well worth a few quid if you have the maps and an Android device.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose I could have a go. Although I did find a way of grabbing OS (amongst other map types) from the Web... Got all the 1:50k and 1:25k from Bing maps

If you can find advise of a way of grabbing Google Maps or maybe even Bing maps (Not sure of the detail in those for Northern Spain etc.) that can be used in Ozi I'd be your friend for life.....

Neil

If you can find advise of a way of grabbing Google Maps or maybe even Bing maps (Not sure of the detail in those for Northern Spain etc.) that can be used in Ozi I'd be your friend for life.....

Neil

I based my code on a control called GMaps.net (hosted on CodePlex). If you're interested in the code then could discuss it over pm so as not to pollute this discussion.

Ed

• 9 years later...