On board air manifold

ricky tango

Hi guys struggling a bit here with an on board air project on dads strange rover. Previously rigged three systems up on mine and friends trucks and purchased a custom aluminium manifold for each truck, this time round tho I've had no answer from the member so ive bought a 32mm x 32mm x 250mm Ali bar and an appropriate Set of drill bits to put a 11.8mm hole through the length of it and then several holes down one side as the ports the dilemma is how do I drill it it's entire length accurately without a lathe ?

It won't be too critical if the hole isn't dead true

Just drill on a pillar drill, or even with a pistol drill. I assume you have a long series drill, or plan to drill in from each end and meet in the middle. It won't matter if each end doesn't line up perfectly.

i was more worried about going off centre and ending up scimming close to the sides, my only available method at home is a hand held drill and a vice , drilling through from either side , i have seen methods of placing the item in the chuck on a pillar drill and then lowering it into a vice work quite well but although in the future i will add a lathe to the workshop as it will make all kinds of useful tools and replace broken parts :glare: its not something i have the cash or the space for right now

You could do it carefully with a normal drill. Remember you don't need to use the full size hole the whole way through. Could do something like a 6mm if you wish to give you a bit of space for going crooked.

But take the offer of someone doing it on a lathe, so much easier :)

My little colchester student was one of the best things bought :)

G

I'm still building my OBA system, so far I have the AC pump fitted to the engine and first test results seem very promising. Directly from the pump no tank just 5 meters of hose 1/2inch dia the tyre valve and hose was the limiting factor. We inflated my 900 tyre to 28 psi in less than a minute more like 30 mseconds from flat. Very impressed. I have a RRC air suspension tank and got some high temp hose to go from the pump to my manifold. I will post a pic in a sec need to di it out from the tol box. I couldn't find a decent freeflowing manifold so I used a 3/4 inch radiator manifold and 3/4 hosetails.

My little colchester student was one of the best things bought :)

G

Little haha :)

I have a Student in my garage, it's a bit of a squeeze, :lol:

@Ricky - not sure where you are in west London, but if you don't manage to find someone to stick the hole through the middle, I'd be happy to put your manifold up in my lathe. I'm only 5 mins from Gatwick.

Just a thought - why do you need to have 1/4" ports? If you use 1/8" you could pitch the ports much closer together and save some material.

Little haha :)

I have a Student in my garage, it's a bit of a squeeze, :lol:

@Ricky - not sure where you are in west London, but if you don't manage to find someone to stick the hole through the middle, I'd be happy to put your manifold up in my lathe. I'm only 5 mins from Gatwick.

Just a thought - why do you need to have 1/4" ports? If you use 1/8" you could pitch the ports much closer together and save some material.

i was thinking the same thing about the student, they are not the smallest all though i would compromise on space as the reviews say there not bad units.

i.e the port sizes , the manifold is the direst route from compressor to tank and it is also an inflation and light tool on board air system. ive seen the restriction a coily lead had on a mates work shop compressor to know that i want 1/4 ports , to get them all used and plumbed in it still looks a very compact unit with the 1/4 ports .

still waiting on the bar to arrive before i start pm'ing people :) but i will send them out once it is here

I got it from Ebay quite cheaply 90psi on 120 cut off.

Maybe a mistake buying fro ebay! But Matt Savage 4x4 does them not too silly on price. All the adaptors cost the most but I'm not complaining I wanted it big and free flowing screfix for the manifold and outlet pipes I believe it was made for Central Heating Radiators. And the threas on 4 manifold outlets is weird luckily they do them ase

well.

My only real concern is the heat build up. May have to make a cooling ring rad to cool the air before it goes into the manifold cos it can get seriously hot!

My switch would normally be found on top of a garage compressor. Shut off pressures and hysteresis can be set to suit your needs. Only a tenner on eblag.

post-7124-0-05227900-1325697441_thumb.jpg

And my manifold, a wee bit messy but totally functional and cheap. Only bits I bought were the check valve (Screwfix), pressure relief valve (RS), push in fittings (RS), and 10mm nylon pipe (eblag)

post-7124-0-83530600-1325697908_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

My switch would normally be found on top of a garage compressor. Shut off pressures and hysteresis can be set to suit your needs. Only a tenner on eblag.

switch.JPG

And my manifold, a wee bit messy but totally functional and cheap. Only bits I bought were the check valve (Screwfix), pressure relief valve (RS), push in fittings (RS), and 10mm nylon pipe (eblag)

manifold.JPG

How did you get the 240v valve working on 12v?

The air pressure operates the switch. The switch doesn't care, within reason, what voltage is going through it, 12V or 240V. It's only a set of contacts :)

Well it does in that the current rating at 12Vdc will not be the same (lower) than the rated value shown at 240Vac.