Think I killed my battery

The Badger

Batteries are fragile things

If you do not maintain them they will go down hill

Once down hill they rarely ever go back up hill!

Anything over 3 years and you are doing well.

Five years and that is the life expectancy of a battery.

I'd say it is broken.

If it is new it will be under warranty.

Try this trick I used successfully with my Odyssey metal jacketed battery.

Find yourself a thick piece of wood approx the same width as the bottom of the battery.

with said piece of wood give the base of the battery a half a dozen good hard slaps.

Make sure they are slaps rather than a corner digging in to avoid the risk of damaging the case of the battery.

Charge the battery and see what happens.

One odd thing I've also read, and have to admit to not understanding but it does seem to apply is not to charge a battery on a concrete floor.

So when you're finished slapping the backside out of the battery sit it on the piece of wood you just used when you charge it.

I got one of those posh smart chargers, it's a 16amp Ring one, it puts in just the right amount of charge the battery needs and can charge over a longer period, it also has a 'recondition' setting for when they get really low.

I've had pretty good results with it, thought the batteries which have gone really low tend to drain faster, but I use about four different batteries (for chicken fencing, Defender, van and one spare to swap about) so it was well worth the 50 quid i think it cost.

All batteries leak voltage through the case to a more or lesser degree in Milli Volts, if you put your volt meter between the neg terminal and touch it on the case anywhere it will give you a small reading. If you charge a battery on a concrete floor if the case has condensation or the floor is damp you will be charging the floor, it is just a wast of electricity, and also storing batteries is best off the floor as they will dissipate through the ground.

All batteries leak voltage through the case to a more or lesser degree in Milli Volts, if you put your volt meter between the neg terminal and touch it on the case anywhere it will give you a small reading. If you charge a battery on a concrete floor if the case has condensation or the floor is damp you will be charging the floor, it is just a wast of electricity, and also storing batteries is best off the floor as they will dissipate through the ground.

Amazing it doesn't go flat sat in a metal battery box then...

There's no reason that i can think of (thermal or electrical) where what is under a battery would make any difference. Unless the ground is VERY cold or very warm.

The CTK chargers are very good btw, i have 2.

I'm sorry Lorrick but thats just plain wrong.

The case of a battery will be polycarbonate or silimar, that has resistance well up in the 100's of Megaohms, currents will be in the order 10's of nanoamps in the worst case. nothing that you will measure on your meter, and nothing that will make any difference to a battery. Its own internal resistance and leakages will be 1000's of times higher.

Yes, IF there is severe contamination on the outside of the case, water, salts etc some current may flow. But just keep it clean and dry.

also storing batteries is best off the floor as they will dissipate through the ground.

Dissipate what? Power? Thats also plain incorrect for the same reason as above.

Had to pop to a garage to get them to pull off the factory fitted drop on a new power steering box I have, got em to check both batteries, turns out that the yellow top was the one not charged, or not holding it's charge. I have a little CTK battery monitor / charging point connected to the first battery (red top), this was always reading red, hence me thinking it was the first battery, but actually the second battery (yellow top) was draining the power out of it (they are connected in parallel).

So now I am re-conning the yellow top, and really should remember more to connect the two batteries together, as I have a solonoid to do this, but to connect them it's on a switch, can't afford one of those fancy voltage sensitive relays. Or maybe I need to up the wire from the back of the alternator, or up the alternator, or up all of it...