Transfering Reg Numbers

geoffbeaumont

Anyone know anything about transferring registration numbers (it's a Northern Ireland number on a UK car, so DVLA rules apply) off unroadworthy cars? The vehicle in question is a friend's Range Rover, which has been laid up for some time so is currently SORN'd and has no MOT. As far as she's been able to find out, in order to transfer the number off it (she wants to sell it) the car has to be taxed and MOT'd - I guess to meet the reg's for getting it registered with the replacement age related number. Trouble is, the engine has (we think) a seized piston ring and isn't going to pass an emissions test without uneconomical amounts of work.

Suggestions? Apart from find a dodgy garage to MOT it... :ph34r:

What happens if you write off a car with a cherished plate? Do you lose the plate? I guess if you've still got the bits of paper that's all the DVLA actually care about, but if, say, you totalled it the day the MOT ran out you'd be screwed? Or, more likely, thinking about it, it failed it's MOT and you wanted to transfer the number to its replacement...that's got to be pretty common.

Geoff, AFIAK both vehicles do have to be taxed and MOT'd to do the transfer (moved mine a couple of times now). It may be possible to put a reg on retention but I suspect to do that the vehicle would have to again be taxed/mot'd at the time you did this.

Sorry, hope someone knows better.

Certainly need mot and Tax and of course the V5.

Be carefull, no dodgy mot's etc, Ive just gone for a transfer, 1 week later I received a letter asking for a vehicle inspection.

Whilst having the vehicle inspected, the inspector told me - "as a rule, if its older than 15 years or especilally if its a Land Rover, it will get inspected".

The inspections not that severe (not SVA etc) but it will check all info is correct on the V5, the chassis is original and the vin plate is displayed. They will also look for the point system if historical status is being claimed on either car.

As regard writing off a vehilce, Im sure special circumstances apply.

Did you know that you never own the "number"? We just hold the right to use it, even if you payed ££££ !

Geoff, AFIAK both vehicles do have to be taxed and MOT'd to do the transfer (moved mine a couple of times now). It may be possible to put a reg on retention but I suspect to do that the vehicle would have to again be taxed/mot'd at the time you did this.

Sorry, hope someone knows better.

Bummer. Had pretty much got it lined up so I'd buy the truck off her after she'd sold the number, then take the sill tanks and rather nice stainless exhaust off it and sell it on. If she can't sell the plate she'll have to get as much as she can for the truck, which means I couldn't buy it off her without making a loss :(

Ah, well... :huh:

I am sure what is said above is correct as I know somebody over there who runs a garage, he was ranting about the stupid rules when I saw him on holiday a few weeks ago, as he has a 30+ year old cherished plate on a rusting old Hillman Hunter, it is his initials and year of birth, and he is unable to transfer it to another vehicle (so the Hillman can be scrapped) because the Hillman has to be fully road legal in order to complete the transfer.... which it is never going to be - therefore if he scraps the car, he loses the plate, or he keeps the plate and has to leave it attached to a rusting pile of junk in the driveway.

His observation was that it is another way for the crooks government to make money, take back all these £££££ plates for nothing and then re-sell them later on... :angry:

Loads of info on DVLA site cherished reg transfers :i-m_so_happy:

this bit extracted from the above info --- the notes are interesting

What is the Cherished Transfer Facility?

This facility enables a registration number to be moved directly from one vehicle to another subject to certain conditions.

Who can apply?

Only the registered keeper of a vehicle is entitled to apply to transfer its registration number.

What are the requirements for participating vehicles?

Participating vehicles must be currently licensed, subject to annual testing and available for inspection. However, applications involving unlicensed donor vehicles will still be considered if:

the licence for the donor vehicle expired no more than six months prior to the date of the application; or if

the donor vehicle is not old enough to be tested , i.e. less than 3 years old for cars, motorcycles, etc or less than 1 year old in the case of HGVs.

PLEASE NOTE: As from 1st December 2005 this concession will be extended to include applications from donor vehicles where the licence expired no more than 12 months prior to the date of the application. The concession will only apply if Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) declaration has been made.

PLEASE NOTE:

In order for a vehicle to qualify for the concession there must be no break between the expiry date of the licence and the commencement of the SORN

In both the above circumstances, all other requirements of the number transfer facility must be met in order for applications to be considered.

PLEASE NOTE: Recipient vehicles must be currently licensed in order to participate in the number transfer arrangements.

Edited by western

Guest mr_wuffles

There is a way around over here in NI due to the mot strikes here and the back log, there's a cheeky loop hole. I don't know if it'll work on the mainland? you could transfer it onto a NI car for a few weeks and then put it on a retension cert. I'll try and find out the way around it i cant remember it but know a few people who have done it recently.

Yeah, just found that too - not sure if her truck's been off the road over a year or not.

Cheers - I'll pass that on.

I'm surprised they've only just started allowing that. What happened before if your car was a write-off?