Help please... Battery trouble...

Orange90-J-

Hello there guys...

Hope someone has some help here,

I have 2 optima yellow top batterys they are less than 18 month old but they have been on a challenge truck that hasnt been touched for rufly a year, ive tried to charge them with a tricle charger but im not getting much change in either,

Does anyone know of a way that will revive them?

Eg.

• fit on truck a start and see if alternator boosts them?

• put on a big powerfull fast charge.

• put 24 volts threw them and hope for the best :/

• is there a special charger out there?

• etc etc...

Hope someone can help.

Any help much appriciated.

Thanks -J-

It may be that your charger is just not getting any voltage to trigger the switching mode, if you have proper truck jump leads, then give it a couple of minutes in parallel on a working truck( as in like a jump start) then overnight on the charger they may have just plated up in which case dump them!

DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT APPROPRIATE PROTECTION

touch the terminals with a welder, literally zap them, it sometimes burns the "plating" that builds up insides old batterys giving them another lease of life.

but be warned, battery's can explode and can quite literally melt your skin and flesh off.

DO NOT TRY THIS ..... AT ALL

Seriously, thats just mad.

Its not likely to do the battery any good, possibly permanent damage - you have no idea of the terminal voltage of the welder.

I would even avoid Smegos method unless i had no choice. Beacuse while it does work, you may overheat or otherwise damage the plates.

Use a reconditioning charger, they will work, and they are less than the cost of an Optima.

I can vouch that dirtyninetys method works on cordless drill batteries :i-m_so_happy: I tried it after I'd already bought a couple of new batteries so I had nothing to lose, and now can only tell which is the newer because of the scratches.

Don't know if I'd be brave enough to give it a go on a car battery though because there is a lot more stuff to explode all over you.

Just because cordless drill batteries look small, doesn't mean they're harmless. 'Brutal' tequniques have been successful at rescuing Ni-Cd type cells in the past farily effectively, but not without risk. However, a modern cordless power tool is using Lithium based technology, and a battery pack half the size of your fist can still produce a fireball when exploding the size of a small car. Search the interwebs for 'lithium battery explosion' and see what videos you can find. Third degree burns? Not me.

Orange 90: Have a look for a re-conditioning charger, as mentioned above. You've spent in the region of £400 on batteries, so why not spend another £30-£40 on something to look after them, and develop a suitable maintenance schedule to look after them. Batteries will die if left unloved, and shoving a massive amount of current into them to try and wake them up can have a detrimental effect on their performance, possibly less so with one of those spiral batteries, compared to a conventional lead acid.

Kev

• 11 months later...

Hook your charger to a normal everday car battery then run jump leads from said battery to the optima and the charger thinks its charging the battery but it actually charges the optima in parallel.

Did this with mine after watching a youtube clip about it and both the red top and yellow top charged no probs at all.

100% safer than the welder or 24 volt technique.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT APPROPRIATE PROTECTION

touch the terminals with a welder, literally zap them, it sometimes burns the "plating" that builds up insides old batterys giving them another lease of life.

but be warned, battery's can explode and can quite literally melt your skin and flesh off.

OK, you did include an obvious warning, but this is probably the most irresponsible 'advice' I have ever read.

THIS SHOULD NEVER BE ATTEMPTED!!!

The battery could very easily go BANG! and spray you with acid and/or deliver serious burns from the ignited hydrogen gas.

The mind boggles!

Hook your charger to a normal everday car battery then run jump leads from said battery to the optima and the charger thinks its charging the battery but it actually charges the optima in parallel.

Did this with mine after watching a youtube clip about it and both the red top and yellow top charged no probs at all.

I've done this successfully too.