Not visited for a while but here goes...

My 110 TD5 (Special Vehicles) has seen some down time as I've been busy working away, bless her, poor girl needs some TLC, actually more like lots of £££ and time/effort to get her back into fighting shape...

So therein lies the debate: 2000 TD5, bought on 145k 4 years ago, now on160k. Ex EA van which has been kept in good mechanical working order.

I've spent a few bob on her since I got her (which I probably wouldnt get back but I can split parts), add on's mainly steroid related, i.e: decent lift & shocks, wheels, 8274 winch and bumper, underbody protection, uprated steering etc, but she's now in need of quite a bit of mechanical work:

- Turbo is on its way out (fait bit lateral of turbine movement), she's blowing a tiny bit of blue and needs a replacement rad and intercooler too.

- Front and rear diffs are in need of rebuild / replacement (rear is Salisbury), a bit of backlash in there between them.

- Rear crossmember looks like puff pastry, rear safari door is pretty rotten too.

- Engine is pretty dry, but needs a new rocker cover gasket and perhaps some stem seals too in the near future, Im hoping smoke is just turbo and not engine related.

- Bodywork is pretty beaten in places, but she's a Land-rover after all, maybe a freshen up would be good, can probably do it on the cheap with mates.

Debating whether to sell and move on or invest and keep?

Options: Replacement turbo / intercooler would be prepared to invest in upgrade with remap - any suggestions? Don't want it to cost the earth, but if Im going to spend money on new parts is it worth spending a little extra to get better performance and fuel economy?

Front diff replacement shouldn't cost too much, replacement salisbury seems the only way to go which is a bit of a ball-ache, can probably do bulk of this type of work myself, but I will probably be slower than someone who has knowledge / specific tools for the job.

Trying to convince myself but just not sure, any experiences either way may possibly help we weight up the pro's and con's.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

My 2001 td5 110 has or had exactly the same issues as yours (and more), and I have been working my way though them, on the basis that at the end of it, I'll have a vehicle that I know inside and out, along with which I know the history of a large percentage of it. The truck had done 148k when I got it, and in just under 2 years is now at just over 160k miles.

So far, I have replaced the DMF, cluctch, gearbox (and transferbox, as it was bolted to the gearbox), propshafts, rear axle (too much wear in the diff - decided to replace the entire axle, and rebuild with all new bearings and gaskets), springs and shocks, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

I have also replaced the rear cross member, which wasn't as bad a job as I expected.

I have rebuilt one swivel with a new chrome ball, and the otherside will also be done soon, along with a replacement front diff.

The turbo is not happy, and a replacement has been sourced, so will get done shortly. The headgasket and dowels will also get done at the same time I suspect.

I have also done a fair bit of tidying up the interior and other cosmetic bits - a comeplete set of 4 doors is in the cards too. my philosophy is that a tatty looking truck is generally less likley to attract the wrong attention, and would not inhibit me using it for what it is designed for - laning in a shiney truck always leads to tears!

Most of this has been done by using decent 2nd hand parts and/or refurbing stuff myself - the doors will be repaired and reskinned rather than buying new.

My point is that none of the stuff you mention is that difficult to do, and whilst it will require some pennies, intelligent sourcing and a bit of patience can see this significantly reduced...

Thanks for the input guys

Mark, I'd kind of made the decision to go down this route before I read the comments posted here, she had a fair bit of work done last year, discs and pads, props etc.. and I've put a bit of effort into other areas so I might as well keep her and get her sorted out bit by bit, I reckon as its a Landy it could be a never ending affair!

Fully agree that smart sourcing and getting my hands dirty is the way to go...I've managed to source a cheap intercooler and rad and Im now on the hunt for other parts, I've found front diffs (only) costing about £65, rear Salisbury is probably going to cost me somewhere in the region of £350+, Turbo is available new for around £400ish and I've a friend who welds who I could call upon for the rear x-member.

I reckon a new clutch is on the cards too at some point and theres a bit of a whine in 5th gear... It never ends!!!

Any input on re-skinning of doors? Is there a tech post on here anywhere? I guess I just need to move forward one job at a time starting with the biggies!

Jamie

I have heard of people swapping a later (post 2002) style axle for a salisbury because of the strength - ie the salisbury is stronger.

I had no problem sourcing an axle when I needed it, and whilst it was for an earlier vehicle it fitted without issue.

The later axle has a shorter diff nose, so would also need the proshaft replaceing for the later type too.

Quick update on this...

Had been perusing various threads on the engine / turbo issue for what felt like an eternity... Seems lots have people have lots of opinions which makes [internet] diagnosis very difficult.. hmmm ^^^

Anyway, started with the obvious, had a play with the actuator and using a great technique I found on another forum, I used a bike pump attached to the actuator inlet to ensure that it extends at the proper boost pressure (1.0 bar), tried differing variations of disconnecting MAF / MAP etc, also checked out the air inlet (found a dead blue tit in there, must have made its way into my snorkel!), and made sure the ECU had no oil presence...

Conclusion?

Tiny bit of oil on one of the contacts (will keep an eye on that), cleaned up with contact solution, replaced rad and intercooler (massive difference, old intercooler was knackered).. Turbo seems to be working properly (has some side to side movement which Im led to believe is normal as no obvious marks on the turbo housing, bit no end to end movement which is indicative of major problems). Cleaned out intercooler system and surprise surprise, I have what appears to be a properly functioning TD5 engine :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Engine is not smoking anymore (residual oil?!!), though still got the mechanical aspect to deal with:

- 5th gear whine

- Backlash in diffs

- Steering issues

Looks like Im finally making some headway, thumbs up :rolleyes:

Jamie