200 TDI? is it that much better than a 2.5TD??

Whether or not it is a bodge is entirely down to the individual that carries out the work!

The most common bodge I can think of in this instance, is the business of connecting the Defender exhaust to Disco turbo. If a Def turbo setup is used there is no bodge.

Largely it's down to whether you go to the effort of finding all the necessary parts to make it fit correctly.

That's the point, on the 300 tdi the Disco and Defender have the same turbo and manifold so no bodge just standard down pipe. The 200 tdi is a different matter.

Ok, I’ll bite. :i-m_so_happy:

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you can source in your spare time.

As you truck is currently running it would be worth, IMHO, taking your time to track down a decent rotten discovery, taking your time to find one with evidence that it’s been looked after (a dobbin-box-tug from a horsey family is my personal favourite)

If it’s a 200, great, drop it in. Pay the £70 for the exhaust adaptor from the chap off ebay - I don’t know if your exhaust manifold from the TD will fit – and can’t look it up at the mo.

If it’s a 300, you’ll need to get creative with the mounts – this is the ‘bodge’ talked about earlier

Main thing is, you can see it running and hopefully find some evidence of maintenance.

Defender 200s (and indeed 300s) will be expensive and hard to source, by comparison with a rotten disco

What aspect of fitting a 300tdi do you consider a bodge? Genuinely interested to know.

Remembering at all times this is just my own opinion....

Fitting a Defender 200 TDi into an NA/TD powered 90/110 is ideal.... EVERY piece you need is available off the shelf, it mates upto the gearbox with ALL the studs on the flywheel housing fit the holes in the bell housing.

Fit a Disco 200 and yes, the mounts are bolted up the same, the bell housing and flywheel housing wont fit unles you move studs about or swap flywheel housings over.. Not an issue until you come to time the engine during a belt change. Not only that, you have to source a down pipe that looks IMHO a mess and will flow exhaust gas about as well at the eye of a needle. The viscus fan wont fit. You have to chop and change/make new/fit the old oil cooler pipes. You have to alter the rad frame to make it fit... To me this is not good, not if you use the vehicle every day, what do you do for a spare 1 off made/bodged pipe?

Now with the 300 you have all the same issues and more.

Now if we look at cost, I fitted a Defender 200 into my 110 a couple of years back, the engine cost me £770, with a gearbox and transfer box. All I spent on was an airfilter box and a couple of OFF THE SHELF pipes.

£770 might sound alot.. But I sold the old gearbox and transfer box for a couple of hundred quid, weighed my old engine in after keeping the starter, alternator, vac pump etc for spares... I think the engine actually cost me around £500 when you take that all into consideration.

A disco 200 or 300 would cost about £300 - £350 IMHO, plus the mensioned down pipe at £70, a sender unit from steve parker for the temp gauge £20 at a guess... So all in, a defender 200 is about £100 more, and fits like a glove, to me its £100 extra well worth spending.

I can see the benefits of paying a bit more and being able to use off the shelf parts, makes the install easier and getting future spares easier.

I can also see the benefits of adapting Disco engines, a bit cheaper but more importantly easier to get the engine in the first place.

All things for sammyb to consider

I'm with Mr. Bomber :)

I was lucky enough to find a scrap Defender 200 Tdi engine, I was able to use the timing case, cover, ancilliary brackets, FIP brackets and the inlet/exhaust manifolds. I also got a spare decent head and spare vacuum pump :)

I put these on to an ex RR 200 Tdi to make a Defender spec engine, using only standard off the shelf parts. Job done.

Now that I have the parts, if the engine goes bang I'll just swap the Defender parts onto another ex Disco/RR engine and carry on :)

My last 90 had a 300 Tdi on an LT77 gearbox with a fabricated offside engine mount, I was quite happy with that too but none of the exhaust work was standard.

HTH

Mo

I can see the benefits of paying a bit more and being able to use off the shelf parts, makes the install easier and getting future spares easier.

I can also see the benefits of adapting Disco engines, a bit cheaper but more importantly easier to get the engine in the first place.

All things for sammyb to consider

I also see the benefits of using Disco engines, I've fitted a few myself.. i've looked at a few and gone WTF as well.

I've swapped a 300 TDi into an TD 90 before. I swapped the whole caboodle - gearbox and all.

The only thing that didn't come off the shelf was the engine mounts. These were made from channel section and welded on. Everything else was as standard - no bodges.

It was the first time I'd ever done any serious spannering, and I managed it in a week. Currently, I'm doing a similar conversion into a series - but this is a little more involved.

I'm a fan of the 300 over the 200 - I find it's more refined.

Well I may have bagged a defender 200 tdi for the swap into my 90, the lad im getting it off has put a 200 into his 110 and tbf it goes like a rocket! waaay impressed over the TD motor.

Thanks for al the input chaps it really is appreciated as I'm a proper noob to LR's....always had fast Honda's/Rover turbos lol

Sam

I think given today's temperature you will have trouble letting go of a spanner once it's in your hand :lol:

I hope so! Im a mechanic by trade lol :)

I'll let you off this once. If you have any issues with the swap (I doubt you will if you can hold a spanner) Try here first. :)
I think given today's temperature you will have trouble letting go of a spanner once it's in your hand :lol:

Try working outside on the spanners....brrrrrr

My TD 2.5 is on borrowed time!!!!!!!

Up early this morning changing the oil in an attempt to 'stop' the smoking issue. Dont fancy doing a top end over haul any time soon

It's possible to pick up an early 200TDi 90 for less than a grand and a half now - I'd consider buying one of these, swapping all the best bits of your current truck over, then flog your old 90. Might cost less overall and save on spanner time. If you bought and sold well it might even by a free upgrade?

So where can i find a cheap 200Tdi in the south/ south west???????????