snap off quick release steering wheel too close

HI All and a belated happy new year,

So here is my problem: Last year I fitted a quick release wheel and boss kit to my early 90 and it worked very well but it does bring the wheel about 2” nearer than the standard wheel mounting.

Is there any way I could reduce the length of column or move the wheel back a bit to give me more room between me and the wheel?

I have notice a small patch of oil (?) under the 90 below the steering pump and with some drops on the case underneath but signs of oil leaking from behind the pulley wheel.. When I touched the drip it wasn’t red like steering fluid and was less viscous than engine oil.

It has been on the drive for about 2 months before I took it out and only now I have seen a leak and that’s only small. Reason to worry or is leaking oil a standard thing on land rovers?

Thanks in advance

J

Not sure on the steering wheel height, being a shorty I've never changed from the standard wheel.

Re. the PAS pump leak, if it's coming from behind the pulley on the pump itself then it can only really be the power steering fluid that's leaking out of there. It should be red (ATF) though it can get discoloured by the dirt around the place when it leaks out.

Apparently you can get replacement seals for the pulley shaft on the PAS pumps, though I never bothered and just replaced mine when it started haemorrhaging oil!

As with LandyV8, I'm 6' 2", so with a pair of seat risers from Mudstuff, the extra height of the steering wheel boss was negated by the rise in seat height.

If you're more vertically challenged, this route may pose problems with reaching the pedals.

One has to ask, why the quick release wheel in the first place?

Ok, very interested in this - can people point me at a good quick release wheel. Project has a lot of money in it and anything to deter thieving person I'm not that keen on is a bonus. Also 6'2 and 'big boned' :P so do you gain a lot from the sear risers from Mudstuff? Have some nice buckets in my current 90 and a 13" wheel with no issue

you can make your own risers out of thin wall 1 1/2" / 2" box section.cut them to length,drill a hole through and fix them in.easy.

have a look on ebay as i've seen a few snap off fixings

an example.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNAP-OFF-QUICK-RELEASE-STEERING-WHEEL-BOSS-KIT-HUB-FITS-OMP-SPARCO-MOMO-BOSS-KIT-/200699079840?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eba98eca0

Ok, very interested in this - can people point me at a good quick release wheel. Project has a lot of money in it and anything to deter thieving person I'm not that keen on is a bonus. Also 6'2 and 'big boned' :P so do you gain a lot from the sear risers from Mudstuff? Have some nice buckets in my current 90 and a 13" wheel with no issue

PM sent