Tradies Hard Up In Qld

reads90

I worked for a self-employed builder a few years ago...he ran a crew of 3 full-time tradesmen - drove to work in a 15 year old transit van, but lived in a million pound plus house in a village outside bath. He had a two-year old rangie parked on the drive, and an orange wife parked on the...anyway

Oz Slang => Queen's English

Chalkie = Teacher

Tradie = Tradesman

Ute = Pick up truck

Bench = (kitchen) Worktop

Seppo (Septic Tank) = Yank

I know of plenty of trades people in the UK who own/drive nice cars but use less expensive work vehicles so as not to appear too well off in front of customers. Something I practice too, taking my 90 if I am going somewhere where I think price may be variable depending on my apparent means! :)

I am sure though, that nobody in wonderful, amazing Australia would make a judgement about someone's wealth based on the value vehicle they drive, so there tradesmen can flaunt their wealth. :)

Chris

That is what I mean. I was in the flooring trade in the uk and there were loads of floor layers who had beaten up old transits or Mazda vans but had merc's and other nice cars at their million pound houses

But to turn up to a customer in a car like that is sort of taking the tiddle.

(null)