parabolics with no travel or 'comfort'?

Landy-Novice

On a static test you shouldn't be able to hit the bump stop. If you could, imagine the ride 'quality' if you hit a significant bump at a ny speed? You'd be bounced into outer space!

The problem I'm having...seems there's only 4" of travel left on my shocks, my para's be buggered too....

Nice! Good result!

Now it's time to go radical..... I flexed the front end of my 109" to the absolute max yesterday :i-m_so_happy: What you can't see is the other side, wheel pushed inside the wheelarch, top of tyre gets right up inside the wheelarch extension.... plenty of uptravel thanks to massively reverse arching spring. Those cheap paddocks parabolics are tough as nails...

2012-03-03161641.jpg

Pretty nice isn't it ...I'm quite pleased with it. Although I have to say that I would like a bit less reverse arching. Though I've never snapped a leaf, and this spring pack has been fitted for about 2 years now I think..

This is just a combination of quite soft springs and 14" travel shock absorbers. Springs are 2leaf rear parabolic springs with a cut down old front parabolic leaf as 3rd 'helper leaf'. Add lots o' weight on the front end and on compression it bends the hell out of it.

One big downside.... even genuine polybushes last about 2 maybe 3 offroad sessions when there's lots of flex needed from the suspension. They get cut up very badly very quick.

Rear articulation is less than at the front but that will be sorted soon with even longer leaf springs.....

On a static test you shouldn't be able to hit the bump stop. If you could, imagine the ride 'quality' if you hit a significant bump at a ny speed? You'd be bounced into outer space!

^^^ This, you'd be surprised how far your wheels move when going over bumps. Put a cable-tie round the shock shaft at zero travel, then take a look how far it's moved up after a run with out any flexing. You can also do similar tests like putting paint or chalk on top of your axle where the bump-stop would touch and seeing if it transfers to the bump-stop.

A 109 CSW roof with windows etc. is heavier than a rag top, but a standard panel-side roof alongside canvas & sticks there's not a hell of a lot in it.

Very true. In fact, I'd wager that a rain soaked rag top and its hood sticks weigh more than a hard top or truck cab...