Power Steering

stuck

Gent's,

Does anybody know the pressures involved in the power steering system on a 3.9 RRC?

Reason I ask is a mate of mine bought a 90 at the weekend that was fitted with a V8 from a RRC and was complaining about how heavy the steering was.

To cut a long story short(ish) he brought it around tonight so I could take a look & on checking the PS reservoir found it to be empty, chucked a litre of fluid in, started her up and after a minute or so was met with the lovely sound of fluids pouring out.

In the dark it looks like the ridged pipe that runs across the bottom of the rad has been cut & bodged with a section of rubber hose & Jubilee clips that has blown off.

I've had a quick look on the Numcat website but can't see a pipe that looks like that so I assume it's a bodge?!

Would you expect Jubilee clips to be up to the pressures involved? (I wouldn't otherwise it wouldn't be a ridged pipe would it?)

Sorry for wittering,

Mick.

Would you expect Jubilee clips to be up to the pressures involved?

No I would not.

My WAG is that PAS pressure is in the region of 75 - 100 bar. That's based on looking at the quality of the fittings and pipework on the pump and comparing them with the 250 - 400 bar stuff I more normally play with.

Nick.

I had a go at lashing up a power steering system between my Isuzu engine/pump and Range Rover steering box, using double jubilee clips on the high pressure hose.

Whatamistakeatomakea!! Started engine with bonnet open, Turned steering wheel. bang, squirt, painted side of house and roof red extremely quickly. There's a lot of pressure in there.

Put a pressure gauge on my system recently to try and sort a fault, on a V8 P38 Range Rover the sytem was running at around 1400-1600psi at the peaks (after I worked out that both the pumps I had were faulty!).

My understanding is that a 90 or older disco system runs at about 1100psi peak though I have never tested that.

With those sort of pressures jubilee clips do not stand a chance. Replace the hose with the correct ones if for some reason thats not possible then they can be extended / joined with hydraulic quality fittings although a lot of hydraulics places are very reluctant to work on steering hoses due to potential liability issues. If the pumps has been run dry for any length of time it is likely to be knackered.

As already said - pressures tend to be 1000 to 1500psi. I have effected an emergency fix using jubilee clips but using four on each side of the joint - which held for a few hours.

It might be useful to know that the pressure in your braking circuit is also in the region of 1500psi. I made push button fiddle brakes which just diverted steering fluid to a second rear caliper - which stopped the wheel dead!

Si