TD5 engine into a 300TDI, any problems to look out for?

davyd8899

I come again looking for guidance

i have been offered a TD5 engine out of a disco for next to no money as the car was rear ended and the owner decided to break it rather than scrap/repair it.

so what do i need to look out for if and when i do the transplant?

or is it not possible??

It is easy to convert but can be costly. You will need to get complete wiring looms (eBay) a throttle assembly and ecu from a DEFENDER. Get as much pipe work etc as you can with the engine. You'll need a defender td5 gearbox too. The gearbox is a straight swap and will give you the mounting position for the engine mounts. I've done this exact conversion and it's not too taxing . The wiring is the easy bit if you buy complete looms as they all just plug and play. I have loads of info and tips if you get stuck along the way. Steve

just to reiterate the TD5 engine is out of a disco NOT a defender

so does this mean i still need a defender looms or do i need disco looms? and are these still plug and play so to speak

ok so i need a gearbox out of a TD5 disco??

will this will bolt straight onto the 300 transfer box? and bolt straight onto the gearbox mounts to give me the location of the engine mounts

am sure the props are different on the 300tdi to a TD5 thats why i ask

also can the 300 running gear cope with the (modest) uprate in power the TD5 engine will give?

can i plumb into the existing fuel system or will that need any modifications?

finally, can i use the 300 instrument binnicle? i can get the binnicle out of the TD5 if needs must

these are my main concerns and if i get the green light on these without too much aggro then i will go for it

I thought they all used the R380 gearbox, if so I can't see why you would need to change the 'box. Either way the transfer box is the same so won't need changing, thus you shouldn't need to change the props. I should point out that this is only hypothesis on my part as I've never done it. Good luck though, sounds like an ideal mix to me so I shall watch with interest.

The td5 r380 is different to the 300 r380 and not interchangeable with their respective engines. Regardless of whether your engine is coming from disco or defender you will still need defender looms and ecu to make it work out of the D2. As explained earlier defender ecu's are stand alone whereas the D2 will be linked in with everything else and much more ( and needlessly) difficult to get to work.

I think the only thing different is the bellhousing on the TD5 has an extra hole for the CPS? I've also always heard that you have to swap the gearbox over too, but I just don't see why really :/ Granted, I've never taken a look at a TD5 one.

If I ever find a cheapo TD5 it's going into my RRC :ph34r:

As far as I know yes from previous research - the r380's are different - as stated ^^^^ the bell housing is longer as is the input shaft / different / longer. The parts for the cdl is just missing and early ones can depending on the casing used be retrofitted.

Steve

as said above, us your transfer box. its all there and set up.

get the engine and gearbox from the donor disco and the wiring loom from a defender and then start scratching your head - throwing bits around the garage - asking millions of questions on here - have fun!

• 10 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 5:50 PM, Ian300 said:

Hoping someone still looks at old posts. When you fitted the td5 in are the engine mount interchangeable or did you cut the mounts of the td5 chassis and weld them back in the tdi 

engine mounts are very different.  The easy option would be to cut the brackets off what ever the engine come out of and weld them to the chassis.