Defender Door Rebuild - what adhesive to use?

Hi, All,

I need some advice, please. I'm doing my door rebuild, cutting out rotten steel frames and welding in new sections. At least, that's the theory! As promised in my post some months ago, I'll post a report, together with some horror piccies, when completed.

Can anybody please recommend an adhesive to put between the aluminium skin and the new steel frame? It seems that the adhesive acts as an insulation between the dissimilar metals, to reduce electrolytic corrosion, and also reduces drumming of the door panel.

As far as I've been able to find, using Google, are a number of products by LocTite, and a couple of other manufacturers, but they all seem to be epoxy based and to set rigid. Would such a product be suitable, or does it need to retain some flexibility. I ask because the old adhesive, even after 21 years, is still slightly flexible.

Alternatively, could a silicone based product, eg bath tub sealer, be used? Any advice will be very much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Mike

Many thanks for your responses, everyone, and particularly for the link to the Tools and Fab. PU is obviously the way to go. I must admit that when I read the first three responses I suspected a wind-up. :ph34r: I've never seen such anonymity on this forum!! ;)

Mike

I read once in a LR Mag to use gaffer tape on the door frame first and then put the sealant over the top to stop the dissimilar metals corrosion problems. Have you thought a bought galvanising the frames as well? I think that's going to be my route when I come to it