Cost of getting SWB chassis dipped.

Gazzar

I'm refurbishing my LtWt chassis at the moment and was seriously considering getting it hot dipped once I've finished the repairs.

Has anyone had their chassis galvanised recently? How much(roughly) did it cost them? I'd be using the Galvanisers at Newport, Gwent.

G.

Reckon on somewhere around 60 pence/kilo with a £60 minimum charge. Give them a call. Should be under £100 whatever, and well worth it. All my stuff goes to Hereford (another option for you) but I send it all iin with a mate when he has big jobs being done so I don't have to pay the minimum fee.

So to prep a chassis for galvanizing it needs to be sandblasted (no problem), and the guys that do the galvanizing will acid wash it. Correct? What about the inside of the chassis? The hot galv goes in everywhere so drain holes should all be clean? Do Landy chassis' have paint inside?

So to prep a chassis for galvanizing it needs to be sandblasted (no problem), and the guys that do the galvanizing will acid wash it. Correct? What about the inside of the chassis? The hot galv goes in everywhere so drain holes should all be clean? Do Landy chassis' have paint inside?

can't think there is any on the inside, from what i remember the biggest problem is the paint makes the hot gav pop( so hot gav flying in the air is not safe

I was planning on getting it blasted anyway, as it reduces the raised 'new weld' marks that dipping sometimes causes- exposing all the previously ground down patches!

no paint inside, worst comes to worst cut the dump iron caps off, tip it in its end and batter the s*** out of it with big hammer! :D:i-m_so_happy:

Gazzar,

I sent a SWB chassis, bulkhead and front panel to be galvanised in December 2011, total cost inc VAT and delivery there and back was £195. You cant argue with that when the mileage there and back was 90 miles. They collected on a Monday and delivered back on a Friday. I used East Anglian Galvanizers at Peterborough - highly recommend them

Thats were I had my chassis galvanized. They did a very good job on the galvanizing, but then the forklift driver made mess of it by dumping it in a corner with a load of scrap and bending one of the rear body brackets. I hope he is sacked, but the galvanizing at east anglia is top notch.

Daan

Great stuff - I've a fair bit to get dipped - vent panel, door frames, front panel, plus all the smaller brackets and the like, so I'll pop up myself with the trailer. I might get the trailer side doors re-dipped while I'm at it. The bulkhead is already done (new one - yay!!).

I might just document the whole thing - write up a "how-to" whilst I'm at it!

G.

I think they have to blast it, and then it's ok. I need to learn more about "spun" versus "dip" hot galv - apparently "spun" is a better finish cosmetically.

G.