TD5 clocks into a 300tdi defender

hello

i can get my hands on a TD5 instrument dash from a 2006 (speedo clocks etc) my question would these work in a defender 300tdi landrover? is it a staright swap? are the plug connections the same???????

i thought the TD5 had an electronic speedo????? where my 300tdi still has the little mouse running on the wheel to turn the speedo lol lol lol

any help advice always welcome

It's not a straight swap, but it is a straightforward modification. This site tells you what you need to know.

Don't buy a Britpart speed sensor - go straight for a genuine one. This thread will tell you why.

There's a thread here called 'wibbly wobbly speedo' (IIRC) which is also worth a read, but the search function is pants so I could not find it in the time I have available to reply right now.

Nick.

yes lads found the link very good reading and doable

Retroanaconda do i need the wire loom YMG109280 ???????????? or should this come with the dash cluster?????????????????

many thanks lads, just want to get the facts so i can search for the parts

You can/could buy a plug conversion kit on ebay - it supplied all the right plugs etc to do it. There are also some good websites that show it being done as above. I've got all the bits waiting in a box to be swapped over... hmmm might do it this that when i rebuild the machine this time around actually.

The plugs are reasonably available now, check out Vehicle wire products for plugs etc.

Mav

yes lads found the link very good reading and doable

Retroanaconda do i need the wire loom YMG109280 ???????????? or should this come with the dash cluster?????????????????

many thanks lads, just want to get the facts so i can search for the parts

You'll need that loom yes, the modifications you will make to it are what makes the Td5 gauges work with the Tdi engine.

Don't buy it new though, either get one complete with the gauges or get one off eBay etc. Newbury sort-out this weekend is always a good shout for bits too if you're going!

Can you not just change the plugs on the end of the old fuel / temp gauge and plug them in to the td5 gauges, i know that the temp gauge goes through the speedo, and ive got the the plugs that plug in to the speedo?