Why do bulkheads rust?!

I do know that it's when steel and water meet! But, why do defender bulkheads rust in the same places, ie around the screen hinge? Is it water entering from the bulkhead/screen joint, through the hinge holes, thrown up from the wheels (unlikely) or all three?

The reason I ask is that my drivers door top hinge and the bulkhead are no longer in a relationship! The previous owners repair - filler foam! has finally given out. Fortunately I have a scrap 90 with a pretty good bulkhead, only a few minor holes in the usual places, and on the top where the screen sits. It's being repaired, and I am considering having it galvanised too.

As its such a long job to swap the bulkheads over I'd rather only do it once, any thoughts on how to stop it rusting from within?

Many thanks

Richard

Galv is is the preferred option for longevity, but filling it to the brim with cavity wax etc. is a good alternative.

It rusts because the water gets in through the windscreen seal, screen frame to bulkhead seal, and hinge bolt holes, and then sits their making it nice and damp.

It's an atrocious design, with multiple sheets of steel overlapping and spot-welded, followed by poor seam-sealing that once degraded allows water into the joints at which point it's game over.

I think Land Rover include the rust in the factory!

Galvanizing is the only solution that will work long term. None of the other methods will coat the inside of the bulkhead effectively - so if you only plan on doing it once, it's the only option.

Si

Based on the fact the galving is normally done to a used bulkhead how good is galv on hidden rust? I know they get dipped in acid first to clean but if there is still rust left will the fact the galv is preventing further oxygen reaching it stop the spread of rust? or is it going to eat it's way back out?

Local galv place quoted £95+vat. Need to get it plated and paint removed first. When I collected my trailer from Ifor williams, they told me that the galv was stronger than the steel in the chasis!

I know what will happen! while it's off I might as well rewire, paint chasis.......!

It also might be all the salt the council put on the road! Sorry not smug at all, just can't believe the condition of the 1996 110 that I bought in Brisbane, hardly any rust to speak of other than in the usual footwell places! You watch it'll now fall to pieces!!!!!!!!!!