possible head gasket

potterpotta

as already suggested, may not be head gasket.try to get a compression test or take it into a decent garage they can do a sniff test in yout header tank which will give you a better idea of whats going on. are you suffering from overheating( the car that is, not you)also check the carpet by the footwell both sides it may well be heater matrix, good luck with it, will be interested to know what it is ..

ron.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. Loosing coolant but the disco drives fine doesn't over heat no oil in the coolant and no mayo in the oil.

Possibly a leaking hose?

i think hy head gasket has gone its not starting also has lost coolant and there is oil on one of the glow plugs any ideas would help many thanks

Leaking hoses and or a leaking radiator core will show up on a simple pressure test, the head however, if its leaking wont be so simple to remedy. The only solution is to remove the head and have a look, the unfortunate thaing is once you do that you ruin the gasket :angry2: When you replace it use new head bolts and torque them up correctly and your problems will be a bad past experience

Leaking head gaskets don't always cause oil emulsification, coolant or oil loss - it depends on where the leak is. If there is a leak from an oil way to the bore, you'll burn oil. If you have a leak from the coolant way to the bore, you'll lose coolant (either through sucking it into the bore on the induction stroke and then vaporising it, or by pressurising the coolant system and blowing it out of the header tank cap). You'll only get emulsification if the coolant and oil mix.

The OP's symptoms suggest a fairly knackered head gasket or warped head (300 heads are much more delicate than their predecessors) as prime suspects, though.

I agree, i should have also mentioned that my car isn't burning oil either.

I will get it checked out by a mechanic anyway

Leaking head gaskets don't always cause oil emulsification, coolant or oil loss - it depends on where the leak is. If there is a leak from an oil way to the bore, you'll burn oil. If you have a leak from the coolant way to the bore, you'll lose coolant (either through sucking it into the bore on the induction stroke and then vaporising it, or by pressurising the coolant system and blowing it out of the header tank cap). You'll only get emulsification if the coolant and oil mix.

The OP's symptoms suggest a fairly knackered head gasket or warped head (300 heads are much more delicate than their predecessors) as prime suspects, though.

I am having the same problem. Loosing coolant but the disco drives fine doesn't over heat no oil in the coolant and no mayo in the oil.

Possibly a leaking hose?

Also check the "P" Gasket

Keith

pretty much covered all bases already, personally i would replace the head gasket anyways, pretty easy job to do.

couple of things to note though, if its your first head gasket change, make a note of how many holes are in the front left hand side of the gasket as you look at the engine, this will indicate which gasket it needs to be replaced with.

also as suggested change the head bolts, 300tdi head bolts can be used upto 4 times, however for the sake of 30 odd quid i would replace them anyways.

when you remove the head, take it to a reputable enginerreing company, who can perform a pressure test on it and get it machined to make sure all is well there.

finally when torquing down the bolts, note on the 300tdi, some have to go through angles as well, so you will need an angle guage for this.

hope this helps, theres loads of info on this forum that you can scan through, if you get stuck along the way just post here and someone will help :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy:

couple of things i forgot to mention.

when removing the rocker gear, remove rods in sequence from front to back of the engine and keep them in order, then when replacing them, put them in the same place you removed them from, this eliminates having to reset tappets though it is advisable to run through them with a feeler guage just to make sure the gaps are all ok.

when removing the head the rear 2 bolts wont come out due to the plate above them, get a zip tie, pull them out so there is enough clearance to remove the head from the engine and zip tie them together to prevent them from falling back down. when refitting insert the new head bolts in the holes, making sure there is non of the bolt pretruding through the bottom of the head, and zip tie together again, this will allow you to replace the head back onto the engine easier.

there are tappet caps on all the tappets, these very easily fall into every orrifice on the engine so be carefull when replacing!!!

also when fastening rocker gear back down, be carefull not to overtighten, i have snapped a bolt off before now!!!

any other advise/help needed please feel free to ask! :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy:

couple of things i forgot to mention.

when removing the rocker gear, remove rods in sequence from front to back of the engine and keep them in order, then when replacing them, put them in the same place you removed them from, this eliminates having to reset tappets though it is advisable to run through them with a feeler guage just to make sure the gaps are all ok.

any other advise/help needed please feel free to ask! :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy:

If you do this you are asking for a broken rocker shaft unless you are more careful than most people. Best to slacken all the tappets off completely before removing rocker shaft. The 30tdi rocker shaft is VERY weak and I have replaced a few.

If you do this you are asking for a broken rocker shaft unless you are more careful than most people. Best to slacken all the tappets off completely before removing rocker shaft. The 30tdi rocker shaft is VERY weak and I have replaced a few.

have done a few this way now and never had problems, mind you i am VERY carefull.

not trying to start an argument just saying its worked for me every time :)