Bending PVC Conduit

Spearos

Soon I will be 'sorting out' the wiring in my garage. Plan is to run PVC conduit from any sockets/switches to ceiling level.

One particular socket will require conduit with 1 x 90 degree bend in it.

Now, call me tight but I don't want to buy bending springs just to use once. so, does anyone have any suggestions/tricks on how to bend conduit without springs?

I'm sure I've read somewhere before about packing with sand - would this work?

The bends are cheap if you go to an electrical wholesaler as opposed to diy superstore.

If you want to bend plastic conduit I've had good luck with a hotair paint stripper and not packing the conduit, just make the bend a large radius and make sure you heat the plastic evenly.

Cheers guys - simple solution there!

I have a TLC Direct near me, they appear quite reasonable?

One other question I have is regarding the adaptors - it's clear why they're called male and female, but why would you use one over the other? :wacko:

Cheers guys - simple solution there!

I have a TLC Direct near me, they appear quite reasonable?

One other question I have is regarding the adaptors - it's clear why they're called male and female, but why would you use one over the other? :wacko:

2 Reasons,

1, If you use a male in takes up space in the socket box/accesories etc, if you use a female, it's is tight to the top of the box,

2, A lot of accessories come with a 20mm thread, and with the male they just screw in

2 Reasons,

1, If you use a male in takes up space in the socket box/accesories etc, if you use a female, it's is tight to the top of the box,

2, A lot of accessories come with a 20mm thread, and with the male they just screw in

All makes sense - thanks for clearing that up Lesmond :)

Using a 90Deg with the cover will also make pulling the cables 10x easier

:)

It probably does... but in this scenario the conduit run will only be 1.5m tops, so pulling the cable shouldn't be a problem?

I've got a 20mm bending spring if you want to cover the postage...

Very kind offer there Chris, Thanks. However I think I'll go with buying an elbow.

When I trained as a plumber, they taught us on plastic pipe to pack it very tightly with sand to stop it collapsing and then very gently heat it up to bend it. But the fittings ate very cheap, when I did my workshop I brought a job lot of eBay for next to nothing