White smoke after long idling period

I've just noticed something that I've never noticed before but in theory it could have been happening all the while. 110 300tdi 1997 and engine wise she's always been fine - starts to perfectin always and drives great. With my foot right down I get black smoke but am convinced this is just overfuelluing as it only happens with the foot right to the floor and the vehicle has had the pump tweaked when a full size allisport intercooler was fitted by the previous owner, so I suspect the black smokeis just an overtweaked pump at full throttle - I very rarely drive with my foot to the floor anyway so I don't see this much unless I am overtaken a slow vehicle in third going up a hil.. However aside from this she never smokes (Or at least that's what I thought).

The other day I was helping the ol' man on the farm pull out blackthorn using my winch which is a hydraulic Milemarker driven by a spearate ZF hydraulic pump. So I basically had the vehicle idling for a few hours whiule we worked away in the hedges pulling in and out the winch. After about an hour I noticed that quite a lot of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust which is something I have never noticed. She carried on doing this while I winched away but the engine was never throttled, just idling. After working I went for a drive and the smoke disappeared and when I parked up at home I let her idle for a minute, there was no smoke directly after driving. Yesterday we went and did some more winching and I noticed again probably after idling for about 20minutes the white smoke came back.

So this issue only arises (it seems) if I leave her to idle for long periods (>15mins). Given this isn't something I do frequently it may have had this issue since I've had her - I've no idea but I only have noticed this issue the other day.

Any ideas as to what this is? What is causing it? And is it serious?

Its because your cylinder temps drop right off when idling for long periods.. There for your not burning your fuel very well.

On cold winter mornings you'll get white smoke after start up, up until you drive off and raise the cylinder temps.

Nothing to worry about.

When was the last time you drain water out of the bottom of the fuel filter

If you have never done it before just undo the tap on the bottom of the filter and let the fluid leak out for a bit and then do it back up again

If there is too much water in there it will get into the engine and cause white smoke

(null)

When was the last time you drain water out of the bottom of the fuel filter

If you have never done it before just undo the tap on the bottom of the filter and let the fluid leak out for a bit and then do it back up again

If there is too much water in there it will get into the engine and cause white smoke

(null)

I was going to say check/drain/change your fuel filter too, for the price of them I'd just change it out... had a similar problem but a little more extreme... on a 200tdi...

This is quite common, apparently, and my Td5 does it spectacularly. Although possibly not a good idea, idling for long periods is often unavoidable when vehicles are working. A (not scientific) test of half a dozen Td5 engined vehicles suggests some (like mine) are worse than others.

I don't think you can do anything about it.

Phil.

Is it definitely smoke and not just water vapour? My V8 will emit vapour if idling for any length of time - it looks like its just been started. First noticed it one day when the a3 came to a grinding halt and didn't move for quite some time...

Thanks for all the replies. Been hiding from the grusome weather. What's the difference between white smoke and vapous - surely they look the same!? I always assume white smoke was in fact steam from water in the engine. Anyway when I start the vehicle from cold apart from a puff of balck smoke on ignition she doesn't smoke at all. I literally drove her 100m out the farm yard and into a field and left her idling. I reckon but not 100% certian that it starts after about 15mins of idling......either way the engine is warmed up but obviously not being revved or worked.

I haven't checked the water trap on the fuel filter. I change the fuel filter every 5 thousand miles anyway and each time I do I always check the old filter and I've never yet found water there but a quick and easy check. So can white smoke also mean badly burning fuel? As said I always thought white smoke was water related and that black smoke was a sign of unburnt diesel?

Thanks for all the replies. Been hiding from the grusome weather. What's the difference between white smoke and vapous - surely they look the same!? I always assume white smoke was in fact steam from water in the engine. Anyway when I start the vehicle from cold apart from a puff of balck smoke on ignition she doesn't smoke at all. I literally drove her 100m out the farm yard and into a field and left her idling. I reckon but not 100% certian that it starts after about 15mins of idling......either way the engine is warmed up but obviously not being revved or worked.

I haven't checked the water trap on the fuel filter. I change the fuel filter every 5 thousand miles anyway and each time I do I always check the old filter and I've never yet found water there but a quick and easy check. So can white smoke also mean badly burning fuel? As said I always thought white smoke was water related and that black smoke was a sign of unburnt diesel?

Not quite, black smoke is diesel thats not burnt cleanly due to lack of oxygen/too much fuel.

White is either unburnt fuel or condensation out the exhaust...

Blue smoke can sometimes be unburnt fuel, its an oil after all.