Electrical Cut off switches...

I'm in need to two electrical cut off switches...

Currently I have two of the red key ones which quire frankly are splendid! (Don't you love the forum censoring... completely changed the meaning of what I had written! the switches are sh!t)

What have people got and would the recommend them?

The main fault of the red key ones is that dirt ingress = no worky! Tried cleaning them out but nothing seems to help. They live on the front of the seatbox, but still get full of mud and water :ph34r:

You could always make some sort of cover for yours to try and minimise dirt ingress and possibly move the switches elsewhere to keep them out of harms way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-HEAVY-DUTY-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-SWITCH-Original-quality-Durite-item-/330710068181?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cffdb2bd5#ht_958wt_306

I've heard good things about this type of switch and they are much better than the standard red key jobbies. A thread popped up about them recently on here, might be worth doing a search.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURITE-0-605-11-MARINE-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-SWITCH-ASSEMBLY-/120804663873?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1c2084e241#ht_500wt_922

If you need cut off switches but don't require a removable key then something from a boat may be a better idea. We use them on all the RIBs at work (albeit with higher amperages) and they are regularly submerged in saltwater with no problems.

Harry

edit: western types quicker than me, sorry to repeat things :)

I can vouch for the one in Boris' first link, nice positive action. Looks well able to handle the current.

@ TeamIdris- wow, interested in your mechanism there, what?, why?....

Is that a 12/24 system and to protect altentors on (dual) switch off?

I used to have the normal ignition red key, which later did the winch as well. (only an X6) Then I went split charge with two batteries, keeping the old red dash key and a seperate rear red key. (pushing my luck on a goldfish) Then MSA changed the regs to; 'Everything in one action', so i built this contraption.

While assembling it I fitted a new red key for the ignition side and the large durite you see (more like the task).

I wanted somthing smaller than the big Durite key unit I have on the van, which has proved itself a good switch over the years :)