V grade bolt rating / Grade 8 ?

Ah you found "proper" bolts...LOL

Now you've heard me call 8.8 bolts as soft as a carrot. IMO they are.

Now from memory, I wouldn't even know where to look for my Britool book now.. Standard grade bolts were R grade. S was better. I think, only think if memory is correct the Allen bolts were V grade...

You can't translate those figures across because it relates to Imperial UNF and UNC.

As I say, all from memory.

You can't translate those figures across because it relates to Imperial UNF and UNC.

Of course you can, just match the bolt properties (tensile strength etc) between the two systems, and find what's closest.

Of course you can, just match the bolt properties (tensile strength etc) between the two systems, and find what's closest.

How please. V rating is the tensile strength... How does that compare with what is used now ?

Well my copy of Fowler pre dates the letter numbering.....It's a 1946 copy.

How please. V rating is the tensile strength... How does that compare with what is used now ?

Well my copy of Fowler pre dates the letter numbering.....It's a 1946 copy.

A quick Google tells me this:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/triumph_herald/message/7453?var=1

V grade (70-75T in), [..] 12.7 grade (76.2T in)

Surely there should be a nice table somewhere outlining the properties of a V grade bolt, else it wouldn't be much of a standard.

Been shopping for nuts and bolts today. Teeside Industrial Fasteners...

He got his old books out. Seems I'm wrong...Nothing unusual there.

R grade is for BSF and Whitworth.

S grade is for UNF and UNC...

We couldn't find any reference to a V grade. There doesen't seem to be any cross reference.

I'm mistyfied because I'm sure I've heard of V grade.

Have you a copy of Fowlers Machinist Handbook from about the early 1980's. You might find something in there.

I'll post up a picture of the page tonight, it is part of BS 970: Part 1: 1983 Tensile ranges

the useful bits:

T is 850-1000 N/mm2 55-65 tons/sq in

U is 925-1075 N/mm2 60-70 tons/ sq in

V is 1000-1150 N/mm2 65-75 tons/sq in

runs from P through to Z.

I'll post the whole thing up tonight for reference but that should help for now

Was having a bit of a google for that Macreadys orange book (it's £25 btw) and came across this interesting (to me anyway) bit of info ....

'The EN numbers came about because at the start of WWII there were 100's of different grades by different manufacturers.

They got all the relevant steelworks representatives to attend a meeting at a hotel and told them they had to come out with a standard whilst the war was on.

They locked them in the room and told they couldn't leave until they had reached an agreement.

This is how the EN series came about.

EN stands for Emergency Number.

This BTW is true and not an urban legend.

John S.'

No idea if it's true, but interesting none the less :)

It used to be free if you were an account customer! Very useful book, ours is more of a dirty brown colour now.

I imagine they make a tad more than £25 out of you as an account customer ;) Looks to be an interesting/useful book from the description

Yes it is well worth the £25 IMHO if you are using lots of different engineering steels. It has a good section on selecting steels too. In the back is an index of relative machinability for steels with EN1A as a number 1.