serpentine v8

dirtyninety

Just a quick one, obviously the serp 3.9 is a superior than the older rover v8's.

But what year of discovery/range rover did then first appear in?

also, what differences do they have to an older vee belt 3.9?

thanks in advance!

Why is a Serp three.9 (bloody keyboard!) better than an older three.9?!

Didn't think the blocks were cross-bolted until the four.0 from the P thirty 8?

Going to introduce this laptop to my 110 now :rtfm:

Only differences if it's a 3.9 is are belts and a better oil pump. The 4.0 was the cross-bolted one, they just re-named it 4.0 for the American market as the J**p was sporting a 4.0, and that's more numbers than a 3.9, obviously.

The "intermediate" Serpentine engines were fitted to the Softdash Range Rover Classic and the 300-shape Discovery. They had the later oil-pump but also still had the distributor. I believe some "meat" was added to the main bearing caps at this stage, might be wrong. These engines also used the superior composite gaskets and the outer row of bolts were deleted from the heads.

After this, the 4.0 came along fitted to the P38/Disco2 and the 4.6 in the P38 (and export Disco2). This has no distributor and a slightly different front cover to the previous serpentine engine. This is also where the larger crank diameter and cross bolting came in.

From memory, so might be wrong :)

Why is a Serp three.9 (bloody keyboard!) better than an older three.9?!

Didn't think the blocks were cross-bolted until the four.0 from the P thirty 8?

Going to introduce this laptop to my 110 now :rtfm:

OT but you can normally pick up laptop keyboards on ebay and they are pretty easy to change ;)

If you can go for a four.6.

Unsure on the year but it will certainly mate up to a R three 80, mine's connected to one :i-m_so_happy:

LOL Mick - your keyboard is quality !

I've got a 4.2 that isn't a serp nor is it cross bolted. My 1995 4.6 is serp and cross bolted.

G

The "intermediate" Serpentine engines were fitted to the Softdash Range Rover Classic and the 300-shape Discovery. They had the later oil-pump but also still had the distributor. I believe some "meat" was added to the main bearing caps at this stage, might be wrong. These engines also used the superior composite gaskets and the outer row of bolts were deleted from the heads.

After this, the 4.0 came along fitted to the P38/Disco2 and the 4.6 in the P38 (and export Disco2). This has no distributor and a slightly different front cover to the previous serpentine engine. This is also where the larger crank diameter and cross bolting came in.

From memory, so might be wrong :)

Cheers lads, i'll keep a look out for a later disco 2 V8 then.

arnt vapour builds brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...