Series III - Isuzu 2.2 diesel conversion views?

SimonTemplar

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

We are looking to buy a Series III as a local runabout that will cope with Peak District winters. We have looked at a few, and have seen one with a 2.2 Isuzu diesel conversion, it also has the Isuzu gearbox. Does anyone on here have any experience of whether this is a decent engine in these? Or should I hang on for one with an original-spec engine? I'm by no means an expert on the oily bits..!

Many thanks in advance for any insights.

These engines were in the Bedford Midi vans of the late 80's and early 90's. We had a couple at work for a few years, from new they never gave any problems. Were a bit gutless, and you spent a fair bit of time with your foot to the floor. I imagine they would be better than a LR N/A diesel but a fair way behind a TDI. Gearbox's were good though and 5 speed, I remember that much.

Had ours off the clock on a dual carriage downhill coming home from Grantham, had to back off because of the noise :wacko:.

I would be more interested in the quality of the conversion work, there's a lot of horrible bodges out there... and you may have a headache if you ever need a spare part.

Agree with the others though, Isuzu have a very good reputation for engines.

The biggest problem with buying conversions is not knowing what parts have been used. If you do the conversion yourself, you generally use LR Parts and usually remember what parts you used when you did it. Maintance of a hybrid can be a nightmare otherwise.

It's why I like the tdi200 and di200 conversions - parts availability and compatibility is so good.

Though I second the quality of the earlier Isuzu diesels - the 2.8 gear timed diesel, in particular, is a fantastic engine!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! That's lovely :) Looks to be in brilliant condition.

Yes, thank you, we're delighted with it. It handled the 160-mile trip back to our place easily, too, despite constant rain and it being my first run. Chuffed to bits so far! One family owned, 58k on the clock, drives nicely.

Nice! As the kids today say...well jel!

Lol I'll bow to your greater knowledge of what the kids today say, but our boys (3-7) can't believe their luck, I think they think we bought it solely for them. Looks to be a good addition to the family.