td5 rad into a 300?? is it doable?

hello all, as im going to fit a huuuuge intercooler, i need a big surface area yet skinny radiator to make room and because mine is bust. in comes the td5 rad, cheap and easily obtainable but im struggling to find anything about the oil cooler, will i have to fit a separate oil cooler? if so what to go for and whats the thread size i need? or is there a way around this?

:blink: :blink: :blink:

thanks. :)

I've fitted a TDi rad and Td5 intercooler, and it's easy enough. Just modify the mounting frame slightly (drill new holes for the rad mounts) and put the radiator in the middle rather than at the side, and then fit the TD5 intercooler in front with inlet/outlet either side of the rad - you just need to trim a little metal away from the outside edge of the mounting frame so the intercooler pipes don't foul.

you'll need to modify the radiator pipes a little, biggest problem is running an intercooler hose back across the engine bay to the nearside.

completely misread your post sorry - trying to watch England game at same time :)

if you just need to get an oil cooler there are plenty of aftermarket ones available pretty cheaply - presume you have a tdi? cant remember thread size but I'm sure a search on here will pull up the details pretty quickly though.

trying to watch England game at same time :)

:blink:

im so sorry to hear that! :P

ejparrot, they do but i believe they are 12mm threads, and apparently i need 1/2bsp. :lol: and cheers stuck, that means i should be fine with something like this. i can get some extension pipes made up by THWhites.

so thats the oil cooler all sorted :D just the radiator. anyone got the dimensions of a td5 rad? and what size are the pipes? will i need some sort of adapter thingy or is it a straight swop over? .

:) :)

That looks more than sufficent.

Fitting the Td5 rad, that oil cooler & intercooler might be a bit of a head scratcher but if you can do a bit of fabrication work (without Blu-Tack) I'm sure you will make it all fit.

I can't give you any dimensions I'm afraid, I took the Td5 out & fitted a 4.6 V8.

Fitting the Td5 rad, that oil cooler & intercooler might be a bit of a head scratcher but if you can do a bit of fabrication work (without Blu-Tack) I'm sure you will make it all fit.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

i dont want to have to fit a td5 rad, but mines bust and are expensive to replace and im not sure if a standard 300tdi rad is up for the job of a tweek engine. :huh:

A Tdi rad is easily up to the job of handling a tweaked TDi. I have one cooling my very tweaked 2.8 Isuzu and it runs too cool if anything.

I had a TD5 rad/intercooler fitted in my Rangie for a while. The rad fits in nicely width wise, but they are a bit taller than a TDi rad - should be ok in a Defender but caught the bonnet on my Rangie. Quite easy to install the rad as you only need to make some simple brackets to hang it on.

I had problems fitting an expansion tank and binned it in the end, due to the port layout on the TD5 rad, but I was plumbing it into a different car with Isuzu engine so won't go into it, but check you can plumb a tank in before you do too much work.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

i dont want to have to fit a td5 rad, but mines bust and are expensive to replace and im not sure if a standard 300tdi rad is up for the job of a tweek engine. :huh:

Have a read here:

http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=71503

M&D do an uprated one the same size as standard. The core is a Caterpillar core ans is deeper than the original. Should be more than capable of cooling a tweaked engine. 300tdi rads are off the shelf, 200tdi ones require your old tanks to be sent to them. The beauty of doing this is that you get to keep brass side tanks instead of the plastic carp that passes for 'quality' stuff these days!

The 300tdi rad in its standard form will probably be fine for what you want but when i change my 200tdi rad, it will be with one from MD as above.

An old TD rad is thinner than aTDi, but full width and comes with an inbuilt oil cooler. Not sure if it will give you the space you want, but easy to fit and cheap to buy.

Toby

You are right.... it was suggested on a previous thread, as was centering a standard rad....

• 2 weeks later...

300's usually stay cool. What I'm doing with The 109 is gradually increasing its journeys and working it harder and harder, until I get to a point where I think its getting too hot, and then I'll fit a fan if its needed.