300tdi fan belt idler wheel bearing change? how do you?

Maverik

Hi People,

Looking for some guidance on how you replace the fan belt idler wheel bearings, I thought it was a bit noisey when engine was running, now got the front of the engine off for timing belt change and now i can feel a bit of play in the wheel, is it possible to change it?

med_gallery_2_134_279366.jpg

Cheers

Mav

isnt that the water ump pulley?

Nah, it's the one the viscous fan is mounted on, water pump is to the right.

I have a feeling that bearing isn't replaceable ... it's a whole new casting to replace it :( But hopefully someone will come along and prove me wrong :)

Nah, it's the one the viscous fan is mounted on, water pump is to the right.

I have a feeling that bearing isn't replaceable ... it's a whole new casting to replace it :( But hopefully someone will come along and prove me wrong :)

Yep looks like the viscous fan one. So I'm not going to quote you wrong

You have two options if it is the fan pulley

Go to the dealer with a huge wad of cash and buy a new front cover.

Scour flea bay for a second hand one.

You could also look at REEDEX.net Colin was looking into changing one.

Cheers TDS - makes searching a lot easier if you know the correct name for it. bearing looks changable but bit of a pain in the sack to do.

Mods: any chance this could be linked into the tech archive?

Cheers

Mav

I changed mine. First obtain a replacement bearing, I was able to get one locally in Sydney NSW from Bearing Services Corporation. then .......

Step 1.) Put the new bearing in your freezer overnight to shrink it.

Step 2.) With a fine tip blow torch heat up the sprocket flange and useing a bearing puller draw it off the bearing shaft.

Step 3.) My cover had a circlip to assist in retaining the bearing, others I've seen dont. If your cover has the circlip remove it now.

Step 4.) Heat up the entire alloy cover in your oven to around 125-150, the old bearing will fairly well fall out, a few taps with a small hammer may be needed but dont go too hard as its only a shrink clearance fit..

Step 5.) While the cover is still hot slip in the new frozen bearing, a lick of Locktite shaft seal on the outside of the bearing wont go astray to fix it into the case, especially if your case has no retaining circlip.

Step 6.) Heat up the sprocket/flange again and slip it onto the bearing shaft, make sure you dont push it on all the way, the end of the treaded portion of the flange should be flush with the bearing stub, again, if you need to use a soft faced mallet to press it on support the rear of the bearing so that you dont knock it out of the case while pressing on the flange sprocket.

all fixed. ^_^

I changed mine. First obtain a replacement bearing, I was able to get one locally in Sydney NSW from Bearing Services Corporation. then .......

Step 1.) Put the new bearing in your freezer overnight to shrink it.

Step 2.) With a fine tip blow torch heat up the sprocket flange and useing a bearing puller draw it off the bearing shaft.

Step 3.) My cover had a circlip to assist in retaining the bearing, others I've seen dont. If your cover has the circlip remove it now.

Step 4.) Heat up the entire alloy cover in your oven to around 125-150, the old bearing will fairly well fall out, a few taps with a small hammer may be needed but dont go too hard as its only a shrink clearance fit..

Step 5.) While the cover is still hot slip in the new frozen bearing, a lick of Locktite shaft seal on the outside of the bearing wont go astray to fix it into the case, especially if your case has no retaining circlip.

Step 6.) Heat up the sprocket/flange again and slip it onto the bearing shaft, make sure you dont push it on all the way, the end of the treaded portion of the flange should be flush with the bearing stub, again, if you need to use a soft faced mallet to press it on support the rear of the bearing so that you dont knock it out of the case while pressing on the flange sprocket.

all fixed. ^_^

Hmm cool, have you got a contact for the bearing supply? - how much was it, the only ones I've found so far cost a fortune.

Cheers

mav

The one I obtained was'nt cheap by any means, it was, from memory, around AUD$ 185.00 from Bearing Servises Corporation in Penrith NSW and it was an American made Timkin Bearing and while it took over week for it to come into their stock I guess they must still be making them, obviously they still supply them to LR(UK) as you can still buy a brand new cover complete with the bearing and gaskets for around AUD $510.00. The one that was advertised in your EBay UK listing looks as if its the genuine article so if you are not able to obtain a cheeper bearing elsewhere if I were you I'd go ahead and buy it.