homemade spare wheel carrier anyone made one?

jon-t-08

Good thinking that man! I've used these: http://www.ebay.co.u...tuator&_sacat=0 and similar sattelite dish actuators in a number of projects (including adjustable height suspension). They are much lower cost than most other linear actuators and pretty well built as they are designed for outdoor use.

Although they are rated at 24v (mostly), they run happily enough on 12v and could be powered off the tow-socket!

So long as you could lock the whole thing off, it would be more secure than a simple nut!

I can see another project looming!

There are 12v ones freely available, and the fact they are gate rams mean they will be pretty resistant to moving without power.

Or 12v linear actuator on ebay throws few results but speed of these may be slower that gate kit, but cheaper?

• 4 weeks later...

It uses a ratchet strap to pull the two (telescopic) halves of the top bar together. As it's drawn, the last part of this motion engages the carrier with the knuckle attached to the door. On looking at it again, it might be better if you raise the carrier above the knuckle, then lower the pin into the knuckle bush - so the knuckle is partially responsible for keeping up that end should the ratchet strap fail.

This should make lifting a 100kg wheel rather easy! It's also easy to build! Why have I not built it? I have a drop down tail gate!

I like LR Farmers idea above of using Track Rod End ball joints. They might just have enough offset for my idea.

Si

Looking at LR farmers wheel carrier, It should be possible to use the hi-lift, when attached to simonr's wheel carrier, to use it to lift the carrier thus removing the need of the ratchet strap..

grts

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't that be a handy addition for a Land Rover. With just the steering wheel and gear leavers staying in place.

DREAM ON it'll be morning soon. :ph34r:

It was an almighty PITA, but the open section was a tonne and a half, pushed less than a meter from the pivot, which is a little more than a spare wheel! :)

I think the two struts you can see were self locking from here: http://www.sgs-engineering.com. They come in push and pull versions (you want the cylinder in the housing when it's

You could probably use two car boot struts to lift the wheel... it would have to have a lock though as without a wheel it would fly up with a start!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike - your tractor is a work of art!

Like you say though - a gas strut is a problem if the wheel is not attached as you have just as much problem pushing it down as lifting the wheel itself.

Maybe not a window winder motor, I don't think it will have enough guts. But there is something bigger and more powerful on some Countax garden tractors to lift the sweeper. When I'm back at work I'll take a photo of one.

You might be surprised! I've used them for all kinds of things and found them to have a good combination of speed & torque for many applications. Next step up power wise is a car type windscreen wiper motor & gearbox. They are about 5x the power of a window winder. However a linear actuator / gate opener is the best solution for this application.

Si

Mike - your tractor is a work of art!

Like you say though - a gas strut is a problem if the wheel is not attached as you have just as much problem pushing it down as lifting the wheel itself.

Si

Many thanks! Nice for one's work to be appreciated!

I think a gas strut could be made to work really easily, it's all about balance and locking, or at very least assisting with the weight ;)

I would be interested to see what a comfortable weight would be to lift or do you want the device to do all of the work?

I actually don't even know how much a tyre weighs!

Cheers,

Mike