Alisport intercoolers

I have had a full width intercooler on my 300Tdi. The I/C fins are actually quite a bit wider than for a rad so I doubt it makes that much difference to airflow. I have removed my viscous fan and don't have any problems with overheating even on long hills. A few years back I did, but that was due to the rad fins being shot. If your rad is more than 5 years old it will have lost some of the fins and if its over 10 years old some of the tubes are probably blocked. The last rad I had recored had blocked tubes (and lost fins) despite the coolant being crystal clear and coolant changed every 3 years.

I must admit if I don't know which bit is faulty I tend to go for the simplest/cheapest first. As we're really just guessing here,I just wondered if the thermostat maybe couldn't open fully thus restricting flow, with enough getting through to keep things cool 95% of the time. There seems to be normally a lot of spare cooling capacity which you seem to have lost, so would tend to look at the things that normally limit it, and really that's only the rad, thermostat and pump, of these the stat is much easier and least expensive to change.

Is it possible to get your old intercooler refitted,like a radiator??

I know one of our Australian members said there is a company out there that does it so I imagine there must be one on this side of the pond willing to do the same ...... but I don't know who does it.

Is it possible to get your old intercooler refitted,like a radiator??

A lot of the companies that make replacement intercoolers use the old tanks and fit a new core. I think Alisport makes all of theirs, but 'recoring' using an uprated core is definately done.

• 2 weeks later...

I know one of our Australian members said there is a company out there that does it so I imagine there must be one on this side of the pond willing to do the same ...... but I don't know who does it.

But the standard tanks are pretty poor.

Huge thermal; mass being cast and a pretty inefficient shape.

You can a pretty efficient IC in the standard spot with some creative tank shaping and a good core and a lot less lag than when using a full width version.

• 2 months later...

When I fitted the full width one to mine it made no difference to the water temperature no matter what I was doing. I have removed the fan and fitted a Kenlowe and the only time the fan runs is after a long drive in hot weather with a trailer.

I know from past experience, that the main thing you need to do is to get the intercooler as close as possible to the radiator as this gives the best airflow. Some people think a space is needed between them, but all this does is create turbulence which will reduce the efficiency of the radiator. The difference in airflow is negligible, and the intercooler really isn't very hot, so it really shouldn't have any noticable effect on the running temperature if it's fitted correctly and the cooling system is in good order.

I think a lot of people blame the intercooler for raising the temperature when there is actually something else wrong.