parras over leaf springs

farlong

hello my name is Farlong and i'm new to the land rover wold i got my self a series 2 and the fist thing i did to her was swapped out the leaf springs for some new parabolic springs i got a say i noticed a vast improvement i got them form a site called www.sanderson-parts.com. id like to make some other changes to her but not too sure were to start any suggestions would be a grate help to a newbi like my self. thank you

Farlong

Hi Farlong, and welcome. Did you fit gas dampers as well? Standard SII dampers aren't enough with parabolics.

What modifications to suggest depends a lot on your budget, ability and tastes. I think fitting Defender front seats, inertia reel seat belts and halogen head lights are all very good, basic mods to get you started. I have a heavily modified 109, and everything has been recorded on my blog. Click the signature below if you want to have a look around.

Welcome!

I wouldn't modify anything unless there is some need to. Drive the car, enjoy it, and then see if there is something that you think you need to change. Lots of people bolt lots of junk to their cars because they think they need it. If something breaks or goes wrong, that's a good time to see if something better is available.

Welcome!

I wouldn't modify anything unless there is some need to. Drive the car, enjoy it, and then see if there is something that you think you need to change. Lots of people bolt lots of junk to their cars because they think they need it. If something breaks or goes wrong, that's a good time to see if something better is available.

Amen! Like. +1. Digg etc.

Drive the car, enjoy it

I meant to add "learn how to drive it" - most people go out, get stuck, blame the car & start bolting on more bits to stop them getting stuck without thinking about driving better in the first place - it costs less too!

I meant to add "learn how to drive it" - most people go out, get stuck, blame the car & start bolting on more bits to stop them getting stuck without thinking about driving better in the first place - it costs less too!

Welcome!

like.jpg

My multi leafs were bursting with rust, so that should be a problem removed with my new front Parabolics :)

I got mine from Jones Springs in the UK. I thought it would wallow about on corners, but they are way harder than the rears I had years ago from Chris Perfect. And it seems fine on the standard S1 shocks that I bought from Craddocks neary 20 year ago.

I was most suprised/pleased I hadn't created a feather bed ride with jelly rolling!

I'll go with the usual advice of a 'slippy' diff gaurd like the QT ones. Or any protector that helps the diff slip over rocks and logs.

• 3 weeks later...

Would para's work okay with standard shocks....?

My shocks are shot and need replacing... Also, my leafs are fairly rusty, but still seem solid. Although, on one of the rear springs, the 2nd from the bottom leaf is cracket in 2 places - *read snapped* - either side of the flat central bolt area.

Ive been quoted £210 for 4 para's (SWB Series 3). Does this seem reasonable? And shocks wise, i suppose it'd be reccomended to upgrade..?

I can get shocks from same place as para's for extra £130, but also seen on Paddocks, the Pro-Comp ones for about £100 for 4. Pro-Comp ones being "extra long".

Does this seem reasonable prices? And would the extra long ones help lift it more? (Been told para's will lift it about 1 - 2 " )..

Cheers

yes the do, its a modification.. just dont tell them

dont buy anything from paddocks. its all britpart. i went to gb spings. cost me £250 then and i also got pro comp(es3000) +2 'extra long' shocks which i also wouldn't advise.

if you want comfort for long period of time, get quality products, britpart will sag quickly which lowers the vehicle but increases flex. go for Monroe gas shocks (which need to be +2 if you off road).

shocks rear: http://www.paddockspares.com/m4044-shock-absorber-swb-rear-gas-monroe.html

shocks front: http://www.paddockspares.com/m6415-shock-absorber-series-front-gas-monroe.html

procomps have a bad reputation - mainly for snapping the eyes off due to rubbish tiny spot welds. They are also very soft and dont damp particularly well.

having had procomps before, i would recommend you steer clear. They are definitely in the realms of 'very budget' and all that entails. On mine the shafts rusted very quickly resulting in the seals failing.

I would highly recommend you save up a bit more and get some decent shocks, like bilsteins etc - the performance more than makes up for the jump in price.

ProComps fade very quickly on bumpy tracks too. I'm a convert to Bilstein now, running those + TIC Parabolics and it's not far off a coiler ride.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd need +2" shocks though, but I'm not really down with the kids on this.

Just thought 2 inch lift would look sweet.

But better to have a good long lasting comfy and effective shock, than 2 inches

go for Monroe gas shocks (which need to be +2 if you off road).

shocks rear: http://www.paddocksp...gas-monroe.html

shocks front: http://www.paddocksp...gas-monroe.html

Would you think these are okay? Which is the +2 part?

I know discomikey has standard shocks with his parabolics, and has no problems (i think) so the above so can only get more comfortable.

Cheers

I'm not sure I understand why you'd need +2" shocks though, but I'm not really down with the kids on this.

because parra' give the vehicle lift( upto 2 inches ;) ) but i can only comment on my experiences and research.. (which was a lot when spending over £400 on my series suspension) <_<

I'm a convert to Bilstein now, running those + TIC Parabolics and it's not far off a coiler ride.

Yep, they sure are a nice shockabsorber ;).. Rides very well!

All nice that they give 2" of lift (ahum....) but 2" longer shocks will bottom out before the axle hits the bumpstop. Especially the front end is terrible! Those 2leaf springs are WAY too soft. They're too soft to support the weight of the front end. I've seen too many para equipped Series that have the axle sitting an inch (or often less) from the bumpstops. It's retarded.

Better run a 3rd leaf up front to give it a chance of keeping it's nose up.

To give you an idea... I'm running 3 leaf REAR springs up front and the springs sit fairly flat. Sure, front end weight is close to a 1000kg (perhaps a tiny bit more) but still.. It needs decent springs, not the 2 leaf ones.

Simple.. cut off the front spring mount, extend the chassis bij 6" and fab some new spring mounts. And drill a new hole in the chassis, rearward of the old one, for the springbush.

Add to that some new mounts for the shockabsorber and all of a sudden the front end is way better sprung. Softer, more comfortable, more flex and it can carry more weight.

Simple.. cut off the front spring mount, extend the chassis bij 6" and fab some new spring mounts. And drill a new hole in the chassis, rearward of the old one, for the springbush.

Add to that some new mounts for the shockabsorber and all of a sudden the front end is way better sprung. Softer, more comfortable, more flex and it can carry more weight.

and some photos of the finished piece! http://forums.lr4x4....94 ;) ;)

ps: in comment 25, you said you extended it but 8 inches, not 6.. :blink:

Edited by Landy-Novice

ps: in comment 25, you said you extended it but 8 inches, not 6.. :blink:

Whoops.. I made a mistake then.. It actually is 6inches. As the rear springs are 12inches longer than the front springs, the front mount would have to be pushed forward by 6inches to keep the axle in the same position.

Looks very well like that :D

I think i will stick to the 2 leaf fronts and 3 rears, and possibly just fab some new shock mounts for longer shocks.

Cheers

Probably a better idea, the legal side of things are quite different in the UK compared to here. But seriously, you might want to consider a third leaf up front. Maybe not when you first install them, but perhaps later on when the springs have settled. Especially if you have a winch up front. Those 2leaf springs are weak.

Here are some old pics of mine. I just installed those RR axles, and new parabolic springs. Look at how close the bumpstops are to the axle. This is with new springs. Here it did have the Toyota engine in it, but the rest of the front end is totally standard. So it's not that much heavier. It did already have the bullbar though.

Note it has one-ton shackles as well.

PICT0577.jpg

PICT0578.jpg

I have just added a third leaf to the front parabolic springs on my 109. As Koos says, the front bump stops don't have much clearance with two leaf springs if you have any additional weight on the vehicle and a third leaf makes all the difference. I also find it stops a great deal of body roll into the front corner when turning. I fitted a Discovery 200Tdi front axle, essentially the same as a Range Rover axle of the same age, and a 110 rear axle. The relevant pages on my blog are here: http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/adding-a-spring-leaf/ http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/front-axle-swap/ http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/109-post-axle-fitting/

Cheers chaps.

I think i will start with 2 at the front and just better shocks, then if need be, go Nick's route of adding a leaf from another set, to save changing the chassis length / drilling holes.

I suppose you needed 2 more springs to take one leaf from each? Or just 1 spring with each leaf from that either side?