Maybe Defenders aren't that pricey after all....

mickeyw

Well, compared to a Mercedes G wagen anyway.

I know I haven't seen a new G in quite a few years, but they are listed on the UK website. So now I know why no one buys them.

Now I was at my local LR stealer a while back and winced at the blinged up D90 with a £32k price tag.

According to LR's website a Defender starts at £21,410 on the road, rising to £32,885 depending on spec. That's a lot for a vehicle as utilitarian and poorly built as a Landy.

Now check out the G price list I know it's undoubtedly better built, and probably weighs half as much again, but remember how similar it is to a Defender in many ways. Which leads me To ask how on earth it can have a price tag starting at just shy of £82k :o For the deep fat fryer option. The AMG model has another digit in the price.

Now I could have a big Range Rover, or almost any other Merc 4x4 for that money.

Can anyone explain the logic here, if there is any?

They're one of those cars that are very nearly perfect, i'd have one again tomorrow if i found the right one.

certainly one of the nicest driving beam axled cars out there.

Ask your self how much would it cost to build a 3.5ltr v6 turbo diesel, twin locked defender with elbow room and all the refinements of a stately home?

According to LR's website a Defender starts at £21,410 on the road, rising to £32,885 depending on spec. That's a lot for a vehicle as utilitarian and poorly built as a Landy.

Just had a look at the LR dealer website here and they list the Defender with a starting price of €25.500 ex vat ex bpm... vat is 19%, bpm is 40% !!!!!!!

So that's a REAL (private buy) starting price of €42.500. That's for a hardtop 90. The 110 starts at €47.500.

Just a little bit more expensive......

I was at the commercial vehicle show this year, they had a transit pickup on the ford stand, granted it had aircon and a few other extras but it was still a chassis cab with a £1500 body on it.

Their asking price Inc vat was just short of £34,000

Over here a Defender (110) has a starting price of 459.000Nok

That's the vehicle registered as a 2 seat commercial.

If you want 7 seats add another 300.000Nok on top. :(

Really? Does anyone buy them? £80,000+ for a seven seater :blink:

How much is a 'normal' car?

Not really as the more expensive RRS and D4 are more popular :blink:

A new RRS will set you back about 1.250.000Nok. (with the diseasel engine, SC over 2.000.000)

Nearly new (2 seater) defender

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=36160072

New RRS

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=36493621

I know I haven't seen a new G in quite a few years, but they are listed on the UK website. So now I know why no one buys them.

They are too busy exporting them to the Eastern Block to sell them over here.. I had the pleasure of going to Moscow a few years back - there's a ridiculous amount of AMG G-Wagen over there - I guess they are the Russian equivalent of a Chelsea Tractor - over here they drive a cream Range Rover Sport, over there it's a black G-Wagen with limo tints... ;)