bulkhead outriggers

hi, does anyone have a sketch and dimensions to make a pair of bulkhead outriggers for a defender ???

i know these are readily available to buy as replacements , but being a fabricator/welder i don,t fancy buying something i can make myself !!

i,m not bothered about them being identical copies of the originals, for a 100" project, they just need to have the bolt hole in the correct place and be strong enougth to do the job. i,m thinking to start off with a piece of rectangular section and work from there. can anyone help ??

Turbomangler

if its any good to ya i can tel what the center to center measurement of holes on the bulkhead.

yep that will be usefull for the future, been looking thru other forums and made a note of this allready , up to now i,ve got 3 different measurements !! maybe i should take an average of all 3 and then just guess!! LOL.

Just a polite reminder....

This is a plain English forum! This means that submissions should be clearly composed in English and have some regard to proper spelling and grammar*. The use of text speak and slang is strongly frowned upon and liable to deletion or edit without warning.

...as stated in our charter which can be found here.

Cheers :)

isn't is OK, what we mean is things like 'outta' instead of out of or from

ur instead of your

Please remember this site has international members & youger members whose first language may not be english. plus for english speaking members 'lazy' typing makes threads very difficult to understand/read.

isn't is OK, what we mean is things like 'outta' instead of out of or from

ur instead of your

Please remember this site has international members & youger members whose first language may not be english. plus for english speaking members 'lazy' typing makes threads very difficult to understand/read.

ok no problem, but i read a thread the other day from some one from norway or denmark and could not understand most of it , now that cannot be good for younger members can it ?? i am 45 years old or young ?? am i classed as a younger member or an older member ??

when we say 'younger' members we mean those under 18, as a adult you should really know better.

ok mate point taken but i didn,t realise that the original post by happyoldgit was aimed at me , i thought it was aimed at the reply i got , i just found it quite amuseing at the time , a grown bloke being told how to write something. but as i said point taken. end of winge . Turbomangler.

ok no problem, but i read a thread the other day from some one from norway or denmark and could not understand most of it , now that cannot be good for younger members can it ?? i am 45 years old or young ?? am i classed as a younger member or an older member ??

As Western says we have members from outside the UK whose first language is not English and we are happy to give them a bit of leeway, the forum charter I linked to also actually addresses this - quote

*We will make allowances for those outside the UK where English is not the primary language.

The rules of this forum have served us well for years and apply to grown blokes and youngsters alike.

Measurement is 1510mm center to center of holes. That is on a ninety chassis and oneten chassis.

@

As Western says we have members from outside the UK whose first language is not English and we are happy to give them a bit of leeway, the forum charter I linked to also actually addresses this - quote

I will point out that I am from outside the UK and English is not my first language yet i manage.

I bought a "replacement one" but it was not the same as what i cut off! When you take out the big bolt which holds the outrigger to the bulk head the bulkhead will drop and you must prop it in the orginal position.Its a dirty job but very do able.Do one side at a time .I used a 9" and a 4" grinder. Hope this helps and good luck!!

I bought a "replacement one" but it was not the same as what i cut off! When you take out the big bolt which holds the outrigger to the bulk head the bulkhead will drop and you must prop it in the orginal position.Its a dirty job but very do able.Do one side at a time .I used a 9" and a 4" grinder. Hope this helps and good luck!!

i don,t have a problem with how to swap them , what i,m asking is does anyone have a sketch and dimensions for them so that i can make a pair up . i don,t want to purchase something i can make myself. Turbomangler

When this thread started, it might have helped you:

http://www.lro.com/f...hp?f=18&t=59702

as it went on, it became less helpful and more of a lesson in pictures of how not to do it.....

I dont think replacements are too expensive, so i would be tempted to buy them if it were me (could make them, but how much is your time worth?)

Wow! I hope that got cut off again

Not sure. That was his last ever thread on LRO (that i saw). He stormed off over here after that! Scary thing was that it passed an MOT.

My other point really was that replacements only cost £30 each - even if (heaven forbid) they need a bit of fettling to fit, it would still be less than my time to make them properly.

My other point really was that replacements only cost £30 each - even if (heaven forbid) they need a bit of fettling to fit, it would still be less than my time to make them properly.

Point taken, however if appropriately sized box section was available (especially if it was a free offcut ;) ) then it would be very quick to make functional outriggers ...... or a complete abortion based on that LRO thread ..... but as turbomangler is a welder fabricator then I could see a decent set being knocked up very quickly.

When this thread started, it might have helped you:

http://www.lro.com/f...hp?f=18&t=59702

as it went on, it became less helpful and more of a lesson in pictures of how not to do it.....

I dont think replacements are too expensive, so i would be tempted to buy them if it were me (could make them, but how much is your time worth?)

don,t know if people take me for a knobhead or not but as i said i,m a fabricator / welder and i feel a bit insulted that somebody might think for a second that i would even dream of making a set of bulkhead out riggers from 40x 40 box !!! when i said box section it does actually come in sizes bigger than 40x40 / 50x50 etc and as i work with the stuff alday 500x300 etc i,m sure i can find an offcut of the stuff that will be strong enougth for the job altho i do admit 500x300 may be a bit over the top !!!

don,t know if people take me for a knobhead or not but as i said i,m a fabricator / welder and i feel a bit insulted that somebody might think for a second that i would even dream of making a set of bulkhead out riggers from 40x 40 box !!! when i said box section it does actually come in sizes bigger than 40x40 / 50x50 etc and as i work with the stuff alday 500x300 etc i,m sure i can find an offcut of the stuff that will be strong enougth for the job altho i do admit 500x300 may be a bit over the top !!!

No insult intended at all.... As i've said for the third time now, there was a discussion in the lro thread about how cheap the actual replacements are to buy - much less need to worry about the measurements then. (i've also acknowledged that cost in time/materials probably doesnt apply in your case when it was pointed out what you do for a living). I had missed the fact that you said you were a fabricator as i skimmed the thread amongst the arguments about grammar and English.

I too am a fabricator welder but to be honest, at 30 quid a pop I'd rather just buy them than tiddle about making them myself. It just doesn't seem worth it for the sake of 30 quid.

I've just made myself a bespoke bumper from folded 5mm with an A bar to specifically suit my spotlights because it has saved me several hundred quid. I wouldn't go to the trouble of making non standard outriggers though. Good luck with making them though, would be interested in seeing a pic at least.

I too am a fabricator welder but to be honest, at 30 quid a pop I'd rather just buy them than tiddle about making them myself. It just doesn't seem worth it for the sake of 30 quid.

I've just made myself a bespoke bumper from folded 5mm with an A bar to specifically suit my spotlights because it has saved me several hundred quid. I wouldn't go to the trouble of making non standard outriggers though. Good luck with making them though, would be interested in seeing a pic at least.

i don,t know where 30 quid has popped up from i haven,t seen them at this price 40 is nearer the mark , but reguardless 40 x 2 its now 80 quid that a days wage for me n i know i can knock up a pair of these in less than a day !! is it still not worth making my own people ??

and as for your A bar made out of 5mm plate , most people will probably think 5mm is a bit extreme for an A bar , but i guess you are like me make it strong and make it to last !. when i have made my outriggers i know they will be made to out last the replacement ones which i have not yet seen for 30 quid . just the same as the rearcross member i have already made from 5mm plate will last longer and be stronger . why buy something i can make myself ???