90 front brake caliper

Sorry Western and i respect your wisdom but...

70% of your brakeing is on the front and you need to get it right first time.Rebulding callipers can done,with genuine LR parts and the right man. My advice to landrover620 is buy new (Not blue) ones.Job done. :rtfm:

If your rebuilding them and dont mind the extra cost to ensure you will not have to do them again, it may be worth while fitting Bearmach stainless pistons.

And as above the only seal kit that is available that is nice and easy to fit having the steel rings formed correctly in the right shape are genuine kits.

My advice would be to split them. Its a shed load easier to replace the piston seals if they are split.

Make sure you've depressed the pedal before pulling the caliper off to pop the piston out a bit. Its a bugger to pull sticking pistons out if you can't get hold of the outside edge and have to try to pull them out using something down the inside of the piston.

Oh, and don't use Britpart seals. They are magnificent in their crapness.

I have just done this job for the first time too. Tips and advice.....Bearmach stainless pistons and genuine seal kits,buy more seal kits than you need. Do not bother to split them unless you want to paint them.If you have seized pistons blow them out with an air line,place a block of wood between the two halves and keep your fingers clear. Clean the calipers before removing pistons and bleed nipple.I fitted mine by winding them in with a G clamp and a fat washer.

My advice, having re-built two pairs recently, is always to split them. In three of the four calipers i recently rebuilt, i found black rubber material blocking the bottom gallery of the caliper (i.e. the lower channel that connects the two halves). Without splitting them, you would never know that this channel was blocked and it may adversley affect your braking.

Re-building them is easy. Use genuine seals and stainless pistons and they should last some time.

Links for parts and discussion here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=76004

Gallery seals can be bought from here:

http://www.shop4autoparts.net/Defender/Brakes/Discs,Calipers-&-Drums

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/defender-discovery-i-and-range-rover-classic-brake-calliper-overhaul/

Get a set of stainless pistons from Bearmach or Zues Engineering and two sets of seals - the seals are easy enough to fit, but the retaining rings are easily wrecked and you will waste a few. Definitely split the calliper and use a pice of welding rod or a cut wire coat hanger to clean out all the internal bores. Get new bleed nipples and blanking plugs. Remove the pads and then pump the pistons so they protrude well before removing the callipers and consider having the callipers blasted before stripping. Make sure everything goes back together scrupulously cleanly. Check for leaks daily after completing the job until you know that all is well.