What rivets are used in a Defender?

If buying generic, make sure they are sealed type. Not easy to find but they are out there. "normal" pop rivet are not water tight.

bought mine from this Ebay seller, pack of 11mm and one of 16mm

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Auto-Performance-Silicone-Hoses/_i.html?_nkw=pop+rivets+sealed&x=0&y=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_sid=69199769

You used to get plastic plugs to bang into the rivets. First a punch is used to push the mandrel out and then the plugs are hammered in. Though I must admit I last used them as an apprentice vehicle bodybuilder in 1966 :o

• 5 years later...

Hi guys,

Since I am respraying my Wheely I will replace some rivets which came off in the past.

I think the rivets in the bodywork are the 5/32 X 3/8 LONG - is it correct? Besides the link posted by @western which are great but lrseries shipping expenses are too much so looking for an alternative on ebay but seem like the size is captured in a different way.. how else can this be portrayed?

what material should i buy them? stainless steal? aluminium? copper?

Also since I am changing the seal of the rear doors I need the river for the sill seal (Rt612283) what is the measure of it?

thanks so much

I am resorting to going to shops here and trying to see if they have it rather than having it shipped half way across the world ;)

Normally I see rivets being classified based on mm rather than the classification that lrseries has on their website :)

5/32" x 3/8" would be 4mm x 9mm or 10mm , I thought the were mostly 3/16" (5mm) by 3/8" . I'm sure you will find a local - ish :) supplier of fasteners . Looking forward to the pic's of the renovation

cheers

Steve b

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve b said:

5/32" x 3/8" would be 4mm x 9mm or 10mm , I thought the were mostly 3/16" (5mm) by 3/8" . I'm sure you will find a local - ish :) supplier of fasteners . Looking forward to the pic's of the renovation

cheers

Steve b

wow - @steve b thanks for clarifying - now the size of the rivets make more sense. so it's either 4mm or 5mm thick and 9mm or 10mm long right?

I understand better to buy the sealed type :)

• Does it make any difference the shape of the rivet head? 
  • Best to go for the aluminum ones so that they don't clash with the body panels?
  • shall i change the rivets before or after applying the new coat of paint?
  • shall i apply some primer on the rivet when applying it or is not important?

thanks a lot!!!

Edited by Wheely

got it!  found one shop that has rivets finally so don't need to ship them over :)

Also since I am changing the seal of the rear doors I need the river for the sill seal (Rt612283) what is the measure of it?

lrseries doens't stock this part hence there is no info about it - didn't know about britcar which had the measures of it (2cm x 4cm x 7cm) - however don't seem to match the picture and the name of the part (RIVET ALUMINIUM 10MM FLAT HEAD)  ! As always @western saves the situation! 

Edited by Wheely

yeah that's a smart move however the place that has rivets is 2 hours from where I live so I'd rather buy the right piece from the onset rather than having to go back and forth based on guesswork :)

so would love to confirm what's the correct size of this seal rivet...

I'm pretty sure they are the same as what you have already sourced locally Simone . If memory serves the only 4mm rivets are found on the rear door seal retainer plate on hard tops that runs across the floor lip and drilling out to 5mm wouldn't be a problem anyway

cheers

Steve b

• Like 1