Cleaning hydraulics

CwazyWabbit

I managed to pick up a full hydraulic winch/pto/aux setup that was originally fitted to an early Southern Electrics 110.

The parts have been left without caps fitted so I think it would be prudent to give everything a clean/flush before fitting.

Is there a preferred method?

and is there anything that would be a big no no? ie wrong chemicals etc

Thanks in advance

What Mav said. But before you assemble it…

If you’ve received stuff uncapped:

• Make a list of the caps you need and get them first - pennies from a local hydraulics place or the bay of E.
  • Hoover around and wipe down your workbench
  • Put your bits on the workbench, hoover off all the loose carp.
  • Attach crevice tool to vacuum, and if you can some small tubing to crevice tool.
  • Vacuum out all the loose crud from in and around the ports
  • Wipe down ports with IPA (Iso Propal Alcohol or if you haven’t got any, some pre-paint degreaser) and a lint free cloth
  • Cap the ports
  • Blow through your hydraulic lines with clean air.
  • Wipe off line fittings with IPA
  • Cap lines
  • Assemble system.

If you have the ability to ‘flush’ the system via a filter then do so and replace the filter after a couple of hours running.

A wise old sage once told me:

With hydraulics cleanliness isn’t next to godliness, it is god. :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers for the advice :)

I believe there is a post filter in the hydraulic oil reservoir, although I haven't investigated that yet as I only picked the stuff up last night.

I shall be making a list tonight then of all the various caps I require and then it looks like the general idea is clean to obsessively :)

I may be able to rig the entire system up off the vehicle to test it out and power it from either a petrol engine or large electric motor, so I think plan of attack would be :-

1. Clean obsessively
  2. Rig up off the vehicle
  3. Run system for a while to flush
  4. Drain and cap everything
  5. Change filter
  6. Fit system
  7. Play :)

1. Clean obsessively
  2. Rig up off the vehicle
  3. Run system for a while to flush
  4. Drain and cap everything
  5. Change filter
  6. Fit system
  7. Play :)

Sounds like a plan! In truth, hydraulics is my day job in the offshore industry, where bits are a bit hard to get hold of...more "agricultral" applications, like well, agriculture and Landies are more forgiving of dirt in their systems, but I don't think it hurts to be a bit ana....fussy about it... ^_^

Sounds like a plan! In truth, hydraulics is my day job in the offshore industry, where bits are a bit hard to get hold of...more "agricultral" applications, like well, agriculture and Landies are more forgiving of dirt in their systems, but I don't think it hurts to be a bit ana....fussy about it... ^_^

^^^ agreed, I would take a bit more care when you've got hydraulic control block's etc... considering Land Rovers don;t have a disposable PAS fiter as standard shows just how agricultural it is.

This is a full set up from an early Electric board 110, so we have ....

• What appears to be a Fairey 525 (with galv bumper) being run by a hydraulic motor and short shaft
  • Twin control block, one lever to select winch or aux and the other for the winch in/out (with a remote cable operated lever to control winch from in the cab)
  • Hydraulic operated throttle to speed engine to 1500 rpm when hydraulic in use.
  • PTO to fit LT230 with a HPI 22cc/rev pump
  • Hydraulic fluid reservoir that fits inside 110's rear wheel arch (has in built filter by the looks of things).
  • Oil Cooler.
  • and a lot of pipework

Original plan was to use all this lot to power my Milemarker winch and sell the Fairey 525 and bumper to get some money back, although now I'm considering using the Fairey winch as well and selling the Milemarker ZF74 combo ...... Any views on which is better?

I had a Fairy pto winch on the old 110, pretty much unbreakable despite being abused by anglian water fo years before I got it. If you are going to use the aux to run external equipment I would fit an inline hydraulic filter just to be on the safe side, after all there should be plenty of room between the tank and the pump.

You could speed up the Fairey with a gp2 pump which should bolt straight on the pto , and maybe a bigger motor too , altho I'm pretty sure the std one will take more flow

Also the fairey will take a lot more cable than a MM and/or accommodate offline winching where the cable loads to one side of the drum

As FF said brake cleaner is the one

Finally make sure the hoses are all up to spec and when its installed get the PRV checked and set if necessary 180bar iirc

and then enjoy the power :i-m_so_happy:

cheers

Steveb

Sounds like the general concensus is towards using the Fairey and flogging the Milemarker then.

I assume the Fairey has a similar line speed to the H14W (8m/min bottom layer and 14m/min top layer) so will still be significantly faster than the Milemarker was on a ZF74. I like the idea of the increased line capacity of the Fairey to.

Managed to get the filter out of the reservoir tonight, it's a UC-R-6121 ....... they seem quite expensive :blink:

Hmmm, whilst 'playing' around with the 525 I notice that all the workings of the freespool lever mechanism are exposed to the elements unlike the milemarker where they are sealed away. Does this cause a lot of problems if wading? I guess it means the water can get out quickly :P